So, you remember how I decided to participate in the Runner's World Holiday Running Streak and how I foolishly bragged about how I had no intention of ending my yoga streak after I finished a month of daily yoga practices? Well, it turns out that I had a mild case of victory disease and probably should have hired someone to walk around behind me muttering "momento mori." (See? I suffer from narcissism even when not suffering from victory disease.) Maybe someone will buy me the
Wendy B. skull necklace so I can remember not to get overconfident from some minor victories.
 |
| Pride Goeth Before the (Roman Funerary Statue's Head) Fall(s Off) |
While I wasn't quite crushed for hubris, I got smacked down with a very nasty cold. There were three days last week that I neither ran nor did any yoga. When I wasn't on campus, I could be found on the couch in a pair of pajamas watching reruns of Scrubs or grading or in bed. I thought I was on the mend, and I restarted both streaks on Friday. Most of my runs since then have been 1 milers logged at a very slow pace that still felt relatively hard. Although I feel better now generally, I have essentially lost my voice. As of Sunday afternoon, all that seems to come out when I talk is a barely audible croaking that sounds like a dying frog. Maybe -- if I still can't speak without hoarseness and pain on Wednesday -- that would be the appropriate time for me to try to go an entire day without talking.
In other news, I accidentally deleted my About Me page last night when I was simply trying to remove a picture from it. I gave it a quick rewrite, so I'd love it if you'd pop over there and let me know what you think.
If you're currently streaking, how's it been going for you? When was the last time you were so hoarse that you lost your voice?
Oh that is a bummer that you got so sick - sounds like it is going around all over the place as I know people from coast to coast who were struck with the flu/bad colds!
ReplyDeleteI have not been streaking. Ha. I have just been trying to get 4-5 quality workouts in each week. I activated a groupon for a month long membership to this really trendy gym in Minneapolis so I am trying to hit up as many classes there as I possibly can!
Not streaking here either, doesn't seem to work for me. Sorry you have been sick. I'm probably due for a good winter cold/flu soon. I hope not but seems inevitable this time of year!
ReplyDeleteI'm really close to a lost voice right now -- and it might also be a result of victory disease (great expression which I haven't heard before). I did a really long run Saturday, trying to turn a former peak into a plateau -- did it even though I knew I was fighting off something (which I refused to call a potential cold). And now I'm paying . . . .Hope you're on the mend soon, so that you can enjoy the winter break!
ReplyDeleteI hope you don't lose your voice! I saw that run when you logged it on daily mile and was starting to wonder if you're secretly training for a marathon.
DeleteOh, bummer! I am so sorry to hear about your epic illness. But hey--at least you had a good yoga streak! Get better quickly, my dear.
ReplyDeleteI love your new header. It's gorgeous and perfect for your blog. As you may know by now, I am crazy about your Alaska mountains. It's always kinda exciting when a blog you visit daily gets a little makeover. And your About page sounds like you! Nice rewrite. I like the fact that you write about running and other areas of your life.
Gah! A teacher without a voice -- that must be maddening! I hope you recover soon. It would be nice for the day-without-talking to be by choice, not by lost voice. (But a silent day will be quite an accomplishment either way!)
ReplyDeleteTo be honest, I used to go through a seasonal bout of laryngitis every spring from college through the first 10 years of my career. Now that I work (mostly) from home: no more sore throats! I can't prove that sniffly-sneezy students and co-workers are to blame, but I'm 99% sure they were the culprit. (I'm also a neurotic hand-washer these days...)
PS - I love your new header photo!
Fortunately, it's finals week, so it's the least problematic time of the term to not be able to talk. I'm hoping the drugs do their work and that I'll be back to yapping at will in no time.
DeleteAw, sorry getting sick broke up your streak! I had to cancel my personal training session last week because I was sick, and that was only the second time I had cancelled all year, so I was equally bummed about that. Ugh!
ReplyDeleteI haven't lost my voice in several years, thankfully. I felt otherwise fine, so my friends and I went out and I remember having a conversation with a nice guy at a bar on cocktail napkins, which was actually kind of fun :) Anyway, hope you're starting to feel better!
I love that photo! Its so fun! Sorry that you were not feeling well, and I hope you are better by Christmas! Don't worry about the streak, you can pick up where you left off!
ReplyDelete