One of the goals that I set for 2012 was to work on becoming a better photographer. In order to work toward that goal, I started a 365 project in January, but found that I struggled with having an additional form of social media to have to which to post things and to comment on the work and posts of others. So at the end of April, I decided to reset the project and start posting my daily photos to a 365 blog here. During the summer I did a good job of consistently taking photos daily and uploading them to the blog, but I struggled a little bit with doing this once the semester got underway. I plan to continue the project until I reach 366 photos, and I'm trying to get back into the habit of snapping photos daily and posting them regularly this month. Even though I didn't always take daily photos and restarted the project in April, I did take a number of photos that I thought were interesting or meaningful to me, and I did get a bit more comfortable with my DSLR.
Here are my favorite photos from the first half of the year.
January: I took this photo with my DSLR right after midnight. Having just recently decided to take on a 365 challenge, I was really into trying to find ways to make every day kinds of subject a little more interesting. I also was exhibiting something of a newbie obsession with bokeh.
 |
February: Going back through my photos, I really had a pretty limited selection of ones that I liked from that month. However, this one, that I took with my point-and-shoot while I was in Alaska interviewing for my current job and getting a tour of Turnagain Arm is one that doesn't make me feel ashamed of my photography skills or bored out of my mind. I like how the natural light gives it a vignette effect, albeit one that is not exactly centered. 
|
March: In March I traveled to San Antonio to see my sister, brother-in-law, and new niece, Isla. I took a number of photos that I really liked during that tripand, looking back through them, it was hard to choose a favorite. I ultimately settled on this one of the waterfall and bridge at the Japanese Tea Gardens.
April: My favorite photo from April is one that I took of my niece Norah, while we were in Toronto for Passover. She had a lot of fun playing her dad's shoes that evening, but I love this one in particular because of the look of concentration on her face.
May: I took this photo using the macro setting on my DSLR. It was a beautiful late spring day, and I spent part of it in the Royal Botanical Gardens in Madrid alternating between fiddling with my camera and taking photos of flowers and reading on a bench.
June: In June Mark and I did a bit of traveling -- we went to Alaska to look for a home and to Mount Rushmore and the Badlands. It was difficult to pick a favorite photo until I remembered this one that I took while we were exploring a beach near the place that would be our new home. I love everything about this photo: the guy, the stone skipping in the waves, the mountains and clouds in the background.
Have you ever done a photo challenge? If you've posted a favorite photo on your blog or on instagram, I'd love for you to link up in the comments!
I think you do a fantastic job with your photos--I would be thrilled to have your eye for it! My favorite was the tea garden shot--beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWhile I can admire and appreciate creative photography in others (well done on that 1st photo!) I have no skillz. I tried the FMS Photo a Day challenge in Nov and gave up after a week. I'm too literal in the interpretation!
ReplyDeleteHaha! I can empathize -- I tried to do one of those photo challenges once and one of the prompts was hairy. I ended up taking a close up shot of Bailey's fur for it....
DeleteNice shots! I love working with wine/champagne glasses they are so fun! But maybe that's because you get to drink it after you're done!
ReplyDeleteThose are fantastic shots! The ones from San Antonio and the guy skipping the rock are my favorites. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much! I'll have to get Mark to teach me to skip stones.
DeleteWhat a fantastic set, R! I'm swooning over here. Also, I'm thinking of copycatting you. Meow?
ReplyDeleteMeow meow meow. Copycat away, my dear!
DeleteThese photos are fantastic! I think you definitely have a good idea. The San Antonio one makes me want to visit those Tea Gardens!!
ReplyDeleteI have never done a 365 challenge, nor do I take enough photos!!
what an ambitious project! I think march is my favorite of these.
ReplyDeleteChic on the Cheap
Great photos -- and your niece is so cute! This is a great idea for a post, a nice way to get a retrospective of the year.
ReplyDeleteI still really love that one of the wine glass, but the one with M and the skipping stones comes in a close second!
ReplyDelete