Sunday, March 31, 2013

Progress Toward Goals: March in Review

March has been a pretty eventful month for me, as I went to San Diego for a few days to run my eleventh half-marathon at the beginning of the month, hosted a mini writing retreat over part of spring break, celebrated my birthday, and had a pretty busy second half of the month on campus between classes and some service tasks. I am very happy to say that I felt much better emotionally than I did in February. Thanks in part to Spring Break and to some fun activities -- I caught up with an old friend in San Diego, Mark and I went to a fun Seder for the second night of Passover, and we went tubing for the first time -- I was able to feel a bit of that often-elusive life-work-training balance thing.

At the Japanese Tea Gardens in San Diego's Balboa Park
Tubing Adventure!
Also in most areas I made some progress toward my goals. As far as my fitness and health goals are concerned, I did pretty well. Although I was still pretty lax with eating while in San Diego and not journaling during the first half of the month, I knew that a day of reckoning was coming as I struggled to get into one of my pairs of pants toward the end of spring break. The day after my birthday I joined Weight Watchers Online and have successfully journaled each day since then. My yoga has dropped off horribly this month, as I used up my class pass last month and since my yoga studio was closing at the end of the month (tear) I did not renew it. However, I'm planning to check out another studio soon for a class with some lady friends. In terms of running, I logged 64.2 miles in March, and, as I mentioned in my race report, while San Diego was not my fastest half it was 8 minutes faster than any of the half-marathons that I ran in 2012. I feel good about that.

Happily, this month even with travel and some of the general malaise that often makes itself known at this time during the academic year, I met my writing goal of at least 3 pages each week. Last week I sent a rough draft of an article manuscript to a couple of friends for some feedback, and I'm hoping to incorporate their suggestions and kick it out the door by the end of this next month. My Italian lessons did drop off a bit this month, but I still made some progress there.

In terms of my personal goals, my progress was something of a mixed bag. I really fell of the wagon with 365, though, and will be looking to recommit to this in April. I think part of it was that I opted not to take my DSLR with me to San Diego and when I returned I didn't really feel inspired to take pictures of snirt and then more snow on a systematic basis. I'm pressing reset, though, and I'll be better this next month. I did do some good reading in March and finished two novels, started two others, and read a memoir. I finished Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, which I would rank as one of the best books I've read in the past few years, and Shirley Jackson's classic and creepy The Haunting of Hill House. I bought A Thousand Days in Venice on the cheap for my kindle back in December, and wasn't paying close enough attention so I didn't notice it was a memoir and not a novel. I wasn't impressed with it, which is too bad as Lord knows I love Venice and eating. The prose was just not to my taste -- though I was pretty happy that I got almost all of the Italian passages without her translations. March was an expensive month due to my trip to San Diego and then we bought our tickets for Vancouver, and I have to admit that I went over budget this month. I blame DSW for sending me a birthday coupon. The damage: $170. I bought two pairs of shoes, and I also bought a pair of navy polka dot jeggings.

I hope those readers who celebrate the holiday have had a wonderful Easter! Did the Easter Bunny visit your house? If you could learn any language, which would it be and why?

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great month! I always fall off the wagon with eating when I'm on vacation. Ah well. Yes, the Easter Bunny visited me! If I could learn a language it would be French...my grandparents spoke Cajun French and sadly it's a dying culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried reading "A Thousand Days in Venice" and gave up on it as I just couldn't get into.

    I am glad you got away from the snirt for a bit. I am sure that trip to San Diego was good for you as it is really hard to be surrounded by snow and cold (it's currently in the single digits here with the windchill so I feel your pain).

    I had a wonderful Easter with my family. I got to see all my siblings, nephews, niece, parents, and grandma. I didn't get an Easter basket but my SIL bought a bag of those Reese's peanut butter eggs and I ate more than my share of them.

    I would like to learn French some day since it's my favorite place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would learn Italian, I think it sounds so awesome.
    Great month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy girl! Just reading everything you did this past month makes me exhausted. :) Thanks for the book tips; although I don't take as much time for reading for pleasure as I should, I'm always looking for something good to keep nearby just in case.

    There was no Easter Bunny here this weekend--he came last week when a trip to CVS after my husband left for China meant my second (third?) bag of Robin's Eggs this season (they're my favorite) as well as a bag of Cadbury Mini Eggs. But I did find that the Danish Pastry House was open while I was out for a walk yesterday, so I treated myself to a seven-layer bar. It felt "springy." I got to watch my niece and nephew have their Easter Egg Hunt via FaceTime. My niece, who is two and a half, picked up egg after egg (the plastic variety, filled with candy or coins), shaking every single one and saying coyly, "What's IN there?!" Her older brother was SO good about pointing her in the right direction and leaving eggs for her to find.

    There are so many languages I'd love to learn! Besides North and South Sami, which I've only had the minutest exposure to, I think I'd like to learn Chinese. I'm constantly meeting people from China and wish I could speak with them in their native language. Or maybe Korean, since my sister-in-law is Korean and I'd love to communicate with her in her native tongue. But then again, reviving my Spanish would be fun...see, it's SO hard to decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Easter Bunny arrived here late but laden with two bags of Starburst Jelly Beans, which are my favorite. I love that you got to see your niblets egg hunt and that they were playing so nicely!

      Delete
  5. I'm happy to hear that you are feeling more balanced and optimistic about things! Winter is a hard season in the cold, snowy north, and I can imagine that Alaska is even more challenging than the midwest. I have nothing profound to say other than that I am happy for you, friend. And keep up the good work with your training and healthy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. tubing looks like so much fun! good luck getting back on track with your goals.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  7. Snirt and snow! haha. I know what you mean about the big camera. Now that I got a new phone which has a better camera on it, I have REALLY been neglecting my big camera, even though it still takes much better photos! I have it on my list to just take a walk in one of my favorite places and bring my camera, but I haven't done it...it's all about getting into the habit!

    I hope your Easter was great! Did the bunny come to your house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Easter Bunny made a late appearance with two bags of Starburst Jelly Beans. I have been good and saving points for them and measuring out a serving, but really I just want to eat a whole bag in one sitting. Those things are like crack to me!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a good month for you, especially as you ended it with a sense of balance.
    I read "Jonathan Strange..." a few years ago, and it totally surprised me - I'd read good reviews but didn't expect it to be THAT wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I was completely mesmerized. A month later I still find myself thinking about it a lot and wondering when I'll hear more news about the BBC production of it.

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.