Current Netflix Obsession: After blazing through both series of The Hour (damn you, BBC, for not making a 3rd series!!!) earlier this month, I have been watching MI-5. It's amazing to watch episodes from 2002 and note not only how topical they were but also how much things like cellphone and computer technology have changed since then.
Current Running Revelation: I may be able to push through and have an alright run when I have a cold, but if my stomach is bothering me I pretty much turn into a complete mess. I cut two runs short this past week due to some tummy troubles that left me feeling not only a wobbliness in my gut but a bit of lightheadedness as well.
Current Weight Watchers' Progress: My first week was a success. The scale went down a couple of pounds, and I stayed within my points allowance. Admittedly, it probably helped that I wasn't feeling 100% so I didn't feel like eating all that much over part of the weekend.
Currently Looking Forward To: Getting a massage this coming weekend. Also I'm looking forward to finding out about a grant here soon so that I can start making more substantial summer research/travel plans.
Current Book: I just started Roberto BolaƱo's 2666. But since I'm reading it in Spanish and it is long and thus it might be 2666 before I finish it, I'm also reading Aphra Behn's Oorinoko.
Current Drink: Lately I've been even more into cognac than usual, and in the afternoons I have been drinking Earl Grey Tea like I'm Captain Jean-Luc Picard. (Just file this away under gratuitously nerdy.)
![]() |
| Source |
Current Fashion Trend: I'm loving some of the interesting floral prints that are trendy this spring. While I probably won't make many purchases due to the limited season here, I love looking at them in magazines and on style blogs.
Current Favorite Blog/Website: I love so many so it's always hard to pinpoint just one, but for this month I'll say that no site has brought me more amusement in the past few days than Undergraduate History Illustrated. Having graded more than a few Western Civ essays and exams, I've seen a few of these and similar kinds of errors myself -- just never so hilariously rendered.
Current Love: My silly-ass dog. She almost never fails to make me laugh with her hijinks, but here lately I've found them especially amusing and endearing.
Current Food: In terms of grocery store produce, this is one of my favorite times of year because Cara Cara navel oranges come back into my life. I love them and could eat them every day!
Current Indulgence: Dark chocolate with sea salt. A little goes a long way for me, and it is so, so good.
Currently Pondering: While I don't want to be deliberately and annoyingly opaque, I also don't want to over-share about other people's concerns so I'll just say that some decisions and their consequences that impact my immediate family are causing my brow to furrow a bit here lately.
Current Mood: Grateful. I'm feeling really lucky right now to have a job that I love and to have colleagues who are willing to read drafts of my work before I send them out into the wider world.
Current New Find: The Waze App. Since Mark and I share a car, it's been great for helping to coordinate pick-ups with less waiting and calling and texting.
Current Outfit: I'll show you, if you'll excuse the bad bathroom mirror shot.
Current Peeve: It drives me crazy when people talk on their phone or text at what I view as inappropriate times -- in class, at the dinner table, while ordering a latte at the coffee shop, while driving in traffic, etc.
Current Song: I've been feeling some love for The Lumineer's "Ho Hey" here lately.
Current Triumph: Getting my copy of an academic journal with an article that I wrote in it! It's always nice to see tangible progress toward tenure.
Current Wish-List: I wouldn't mind having my own pair of snowshoes.
Currently Delaying: Anything that requires me to go back out into the snow -- at least without new snowshoes. We got an inch or two over the weekend, several inches last night, and it's continuing to fall steadily this morning.
What running revelations have you had lately? What are you currently reading?


I COMPLETELY agree with you about your current peeve. I wish people would just put the phones away when they are out and about, especially at happy hour or dinner time. But maybe I just don't get it because I don't have a smart phone.
ReplyDeleteI too love this time of year for produce. Oranges, asparagus, the promise of berries to come...so exciting! Late winter/early spring is a lovely, lovely season.
I am so ready to be done with snow. I am trying for a 5K, and I'm ready to get outside instead of using the treadmill.
ReplyDeleteLove this!! Cute outfit, hope you feel better, and enjoy that massage! :0)
ReplyDeleteMy running revelation is that I am just a total wimp when it comes to the cold. I mean, I knew this all along, but this winter just enforced the fact that I could never train for a spring or early summer marathon while living in Minnesota. However, next year I will be in Charlotte and while I usually only do one 1 marathon, usually in the fall, I think I might try training for a spring marathon for a change. That's if I pass the CFA (God I hope I do).
ReplyDeleteI am currently reading a mindless book called "The Walk". The CFA reading is so cumbersome and heavy, I needed something easy to read to offset it.
Right now I'm reading "The Promise of Change"
ReplyDeleteI feel the need to comment on your choice of tea. I'm a huge tea drinker these days, but I cannot stand Earl Grey. My son loves it. I think it's the bergamot that turns me off. I ordered some loose leaf green tea with bergamot and couldn't stand that either. I ended up giving it away. Funny how that one flavor just really turns me off.
Fun post idea! I've definitely had that running revelation - I hate figuring that out the hard way though! Ugh. I also had a workout last week where I thought my stomach was acting up, but I was actually just really hungry! Funny how similar the two can feel sometimes.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy every second of your massage this weekend, I'm so envious!
Love Earl Grey and dark chocolate with sea salt too! And yay for being an aunt again ... I wish my brother would get a move on that project :) I will have to look into "The Hour" ... I generally love BBC shows. Enjoy your massage!
ReplyDeleteYou just reminded me that I have not done one of these in a while! I love your tea, AND your nerdy Picard reference. My mom is a huge fan of Jean Luc and is always running around saying things like, "make it so". Haha! I like to drink my tea with milk and sugar like the English way; that's always how my Dad did it. When I first discovered green tea, I thought it was so weird that you drank it "straight".
ReplyDeleteI'm totally into the dark chocolate with seasalt. And I'm getting a head start on my summer icecream indulgence by buying the super overpriced but worth it coconut gelato.
ReplyDeleteChic on the Cheap
Loving the spring colors! I bought a not-nearly-as-fun spring skirt the other day and have to admit I've delayed wearing it due to the weather. Maybe I'll follow your lead!
ReplyDeleteFun post! I love Kyria's monthly posts, too. Your outfit is so bright and cheery!
ReplyDeleteI like the fresh post format! And I'm constantly asking my husband, "Love, do you see what Charlie's doing?" and "You HAVE to see Oscar! Hurry!" I love that our pets can entertain us just by being their goofy selves :)
ReplyDelete