By the time I felt like I might be ready to write again at all in this little space of mine, I had become inundated with work. It's the end of the semester, and I'm feeling the fatigue that comes at the end of the academic year. Between committees and grading and trying to get a manuscript off my desk and out to a journal before the end of the term, I've had little free time lately and what time I've had lately I haven't wanted to spend looking at a computer. I hosted a departmental/honors society event at my home so part of my typical bit of weekend downtime was used to clean my house both before and after the event. As this week started, I found myself still wading through my students' papers and through paperwork for several other service tasks. However, I did finally get that article sent out, after taking advantage of a grey and snowy day to power through some of the lingering revisions I had been putting off tackling and a final read through for copyediting and proofreading.
![]() |
| Ducks on a pond near my house |

Almost Taper Time! Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteI just hope I don't come down with the end of semester cold that seems to be on the verge of manifesting!
DeleteI understand your feeling about it being difficult to find the right way to express feelings about the tragedies of last week. Congratulations on getting the article out the door and on your recent runs! I'm sure the Vancouver half will be great. Lovely photo! (Though I'm sure you're also ready for the snow to be gone!)
ReplyDeleteThanks for both the understanding and congratulations. I am ready for the snow to be gone -- especially as it is all now snirt which is definitely not pleasing to the eye!
DeleteI'm really looking forward to your reports on the Vancouver. I was looking at it the other day online and it seems like it would be a nice "destination marathon" someday.
ReplyDeleteI hear it's supposed to be beautiful! I'm really looking forward to it!
DeleteSounds like you are ready for your upcoming half, enjoy the taper!
ReplyDeleteThanks, friend! It was good timing as I have a lot going on in terms of grading papers.
DeleteTough, isn't it, when events that sap our spirits collide with end-of-term fatigue. I hope you get a chance to relax a bit soon. . .
ReplyDeleteThanks, mater! We don't have classes on Wednesday, and I won't get finals to grade until Friday so I'm planning on taking a mental health day of sorts and spending most of the day reading and watching netflix.
DeleteTotally get the need to stay quiet after Boston....I just couldn't get much done last week at all and blogging just didn't feel right.
ReplyDeleteHopefully your schedule is going to ease up soon!
Thanks! The end of the semester is now in sight, so I think this is the final push!
DeleteHi, friend! We've missed you here in blog land. I kinda get the feeling that these days, everyone is overwhelmed with life in one way or another. But congratulations (again!) on getting that manuscript out the door, and best of luck with the upcoming half. I can't wait to hear about racing in Vancouver :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks, amiga! I'm ready for a bit of more relaxed schedule for a couple of weeks. I just have to make it through this last week first!
DeleteHi! Thanks for checking in - we have missed your posts! But I completely understand your absence. Sometimes we just can't do it all. I tried to right a post about how I felt about the Boston tragedy, but I just couldn't find the right words so I didn't even attempt to... :(
ReplyDeleteGood luck w/ the end of your semester! Crazy that your first year of teaching in Anchorage is almost behind! I hope the weather improves soon as that is a long time to put up with the dreariness of snow!
Thanks for the understanding!
DeleteI know! It seems like I've already been here forever some days and others it feels like I just arrived a few weeks ago.
Good luck in Vancouver and with the rest of your papers and cleaning and other things you have going on! I know what you mean about not really knowing what to say! I feel that way even still.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Kyria! I'm also glad to know I'm not alone in that.
DeleteGood luck with the end of the year - I find that there's a weird emotional energy about it as we look forward to summer but also wind down.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the taper and can't wait to hear about Vancouver!
You're right about the weird emotional energy. I feel a little bit like I'm swinging from elated highs to exhausted lows. I'm definitely looking forward to summer for a chance to devote more time to research, do a lot of traveling, and recharge a bit!
DeleteI still feel like I'm a little off emotionally after Boston as well... it's been a tough couple of weeks. Best wishes as you wrap up everything at school!
ReplyDelete