![]() |
| So far the only flowers I've seen here this spring have come from the grocery store |
I consider this past month to have been a writing success, as I not only met my minimum page production goals each week, but in the early part of the month I exceeded them pretty significantly. Getting an article kicked out the door felt really good. Now it's just a matter of waiting and seeing what the journal editor thinks. My language study did drop off a bit this month, as I spent a lot of time marking papers and reading through applicants' files for a faculty position, but I did manage to continue to make a bit of progress.
My personal goals were again something of a hit or miss category. I epically failed again at re-jumpstarting my 365 project. But fun travels are upcoming and I'm determined to get back into the habit of taking pictures on a daily basis. I made progress with my novel-reading goal. I'm about a fifth of the way through BolaƱo's mammoth tome 2666. I also read Aphra Behn's Ooronoko, which was deeply upsetting but incredibly interesting to me as a historian of the early modern period, and Julian Barnes' The Sense of an Ending, which had been recommended to me by a friend. It was interesting as an exploration of memory, but I have to say that ultimately I didn't love it. After going overboard with shopping and spending in March, April was a lean month for me. I honestly didn't feel much like shopping as the weather has not really been spring-like, but I'm tired of winter clothing. I spent about $20 on socks and nail polish.
How was April for you? If you set any goals for the year or new year's resolutions, how are you doing with them a third of the way through the year? Academics, has your term wrapped up yet?

I got through all my grading which was my big April goal. So glad that's all in the can!
ReplyDeleteCourtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com
You know, I did pretty well on my 365 project last year, and then it ended on March 1. At first I didn't know what to do with myself and wanted to keep going. Now my camera has dust on it... It's one of those things that you really need to WANT to do to make it happen. Maybe when spring comes to Alaska, you'll be ready to start taking photos of it?
ReplyDeleteApril is usually a busy month for me with Spring Break, travels, birthday, and then I ran my first marathon. My main goal was just to survive ... ha ha :) I'm actually looking forward to a quiet May and June, well hopefully quiet. And hopefully you start seeing some warmer weather up there soon!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on getting the article off for review. That's always such an accomplishment! (Also, way to finish classes!)
ReplyDeleteI had some goals for April and didn't reach them. Writing is so elusive sometimes. I will get an hour in right now, though, before I relax for the rest of the evening. Eek!
Honestly, April kind of sucks. But I am hoping May is a little better and that June is awesome. I need a month of awesomeness to offset the tough first 4 months of the year...
ReplyDeleteSounds like a productive month for you! I bet you are glad that you dropped back to the half from the full! I can't wait to hear about your weekend in Vancouver. Have SO much fun! I love Van and I just know you are going to love it too!!
Yay for meeting your writing goals last month! Have a great race and an awesome weekend! :0)
ReplyDeleteGood job on the shopping front! I don't ever really feel like shopping, but I can spend money pretty quickly when it comes down to it. I mostly spend my fun money on food! And races, I guess. April was a great month for me; it was a good running month and the weather here was perfect!
ReplyDeleteApril was such a rough month, and I couldn't wait for it to end. That sounds so negative, but totally true. Since I teach high school, I'm on a different schedule, but my AP class has pretty much come to a close. That feels like a relief but it's not exactly satisfactory.
ReplyDeleteGlad that you had a good month, although it doesn't sound like work is completely "winding down" for you. Congrats on your fitness goals too!
Rock on, lady! Lots of good progress to report this month--I am happy for you :-)
ReplyDelete