Thursday, May 9, 2013

Thursday Threads: Meeting Materfamilias

During my trip to Vancouver I had the pleasure of meeting up with the wonderful blogger Materfamilias. I had been very much looking forward to meeting her as we are both academics, we both enjoy running and travel, and we both have an interest in clothing and style, including Fluevog shoes. We decided to meet up for lunch at a Greek restaurant, Takis' Taverna, for lunch on Saturday. Our spouses joined us for the meal, which was delicious.



Both Mater and her husband were lovely people, and I very much enjoyed meeting them in person after reading about their island home, trips to the opera, and family in blogland for so long. We chatted about our academic interests, students, gendered issues in the classroom, the discourses and pitfalls of blogging, conferences, other blogging meet ups, opera, summer travel plans, and running. Although Paterfamilias declined to accompany us, after lunch Mark, Materfamilias, and I meandered over to the Fluevog store and did some perusing of shoes there. I tried on a pair, while Mater sought to channel the spirit of our blog friend Kristin and convince me to buy things. Sadly, the pair I tried didn't fit very well, but I made up for it a couple of days later in the Gastown store.

Blouse - Anthropologie, Cardigan - Target, Jeans - New York & Co., Flats - Me Too, Purse - Mango, Watch - Michael Kors
Have those of you who blog (or who read blogs) ever met up with another blogger? Did you find an easy rapport after reading about each other on a regular basis?

10 comments:

  1. Your photos are great! Wish I'd brought my camera along too, but you more than made up for my forgetfulness. It was great to meet you and Mark, and I'm so happy that you took a great pair of new Fluevogs home with you.

    Hope your readers all note the oh-so-cuteness of that owl-print blouse, its yellow against that turquoise cardi. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am notorious for bringing the camera, but still forgetting to take photos. I'll try not to shop for many Fluevogs over the summer, so that we can afford to visit Vancouver again soon. :)

      Delete
  2. How cool! Glad y'all had a good time together! Yes, I've met fellow bloggers before and I've really enjoyed meeting them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you got to meet up with a couple of bloggers on this trip! How fun!

    I have done a lot of blogger meet ups and they have pretty much always been fabulous. I think there is just a really strong connection that occurs when you read the thoughts of another person, especially for years. I think in some ways, my blog friends know more about what is on my mind or in my heart than my IRL friends that don't read my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's very true about how blog friends sometimes know what we're thinking about more clearly than IRL friends who don't read our blogs do.

      Delete
  4. Hi guys! Very cute photos.

    And I've met Mater and Pater and agree with how fun and lovely they are in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! I hope some day to meet up with some blogger friends, of course being a better blogger would probably help! Hope your semester ended (or is ending) well. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You two are super cute! Meeting other bloggers in person is fantastic--I hope to do more of it in the future. For now, I accept that many of my academic friends just don't understand my blogging. Thank goodness for blog friends! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have met up with a handful of people and they have mostly been just like they are online, which is great because you really feel like you know them intimately!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a really lovely meetup! I love getting together with other bloggers, it's fun getting to know someone in person who you've been chatting with for years over the internet.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.