Friday afternoon Mark picked me up from campus and we headed to the airport. We hopped on a plane to Seattle (the 3+ hour flight passed quickly as I spent most of it grading final exams) and then a puddle jumper over to Vancouver. Fortunately, all our flights were on time and we didn't have to wait too long for transit; unfortunately, we still didn't arrive at our hotel until after 1:30am, and I didn't sleep very well that night. Saturday we did some walking around, met the lovely Materfamilias and her partner for lunch (more on that later), picked up my bib, did a bit of exploring and window shopping, and had dinner at a sports bar so that Mark could watch playoff hockey. I thought it only fair that I watch the Leafs game with him since he was getting up early and coming down to the race start with me. Saturday night I slept fitfully again, and I was feeling groggy and crampy and was suffering from some indigestion when the alarm went off a little after 5:00 am. I downed a cup of coffee, a couple of glasses of water, and some oatmeal, dressed, and we headed out the door just after 6:00 to catch public transit to the race start. I looked for Amber as I made my way to my corral, but I didn't see her. (I was able to meet up with her for a post-race drink later in the day, though!) I lined up just a bit behind the 2:20 pacers and then waited. The race started at 7:00, but I think it was close to 7:20 before my corral began to cross the starting line.
Between this race experience (which I could see easily could have been wonderful if I had been more rested coming into this) and the one I had at the Capital City Half last May, I have decided that it's just really stupid for me to schedule a race right at the end of the academic year. Last year I thought I was so exhausted at the Capital City half from oral surgery a couple of weeks before, and I'm sure that was part of it, but I think it was also the burn out and fatigue that accompanies the end of the academic year for me. I seriously underestimated how physically, mentally, and emotionally tired I would be for this race. I feel bad that I was hardly able to concentrate on the lovely scenery, the awesome spectators, and the numerous bands and entertainers. Yesterday was one of those days when it was all I could do to just keep putting one foot in front of the other.
I don't want to be a total whinger, though. I finished a half marathon, and it wasn't even my slowest one. Also I got a nice little vacation with my spouse in a beautiful city. Have you ever felt like you were too tired to enjoy a beautiful race course? Is there a time of year that you have discovered to not be conducive to strong race performances?


Well, as you know, I bailed out of the race altogether. . . .Like you, I'm beginning to recognize that some times just won't work for a race -- in fact, I'm re-thinking the whole concept of races in general, although I do like the motivation some of the time. I probably shouldn't have done the Half I did in early February. . . .Glad you found ways to enjoy your mini-vacay despite the fatigue and the tummy upset. You got some gorgeous shots!
ReplyDeleteFor me, summer seems to be the worst for race performances I think. Too hot.
ReplyDeleteGood job running another half marathon!!
I'm sorry you didn't finish this race the way you would have liked, but you did finish and that's a huge feat in itself! I'm glad you enjoyed your getaway with your hubby, too! :0)
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear that it wasn't your day! We've all been there with a race at some point. In college, I signed up for a weekend hiking/camping trip, and had terrible menstrual cramps and had zero energy as a result (I think I was actually slightly anemic). I was that last straggler hiking up mountainsides. It was kind of awful. That plus end-of-semester, plus travel: you did awesome with what you had to work with. At any rate, I'm glad you had a good get-away with your hubby!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed Vancouver, so I am glad that you at least enjoyed the city and your vacation with M. Even though this wasn't your best race, you did run 13.1 miles, which is an accomplishment, so don't forget that! I hope you are feeling better today!
ReplyDeleteYour experience is kind of similar to my experience at the Cherry Blossom 10 miler. That race went horribly for me and I actually got sick twice during the race. I was running in a beautiful city when the cherry blossoms were in bloom but I did not take any of the scenery in and instead just tried to will myself to be done with the race. It was a combination of being undertrained (we had a horribly long winter that year) and being overtired (I was studying for the first level of the CFA). I should have learned that I really can not train for long distances during the spring months because I just suck at winter running. And I should have learned that registering for a race during CFA season is just plain stupid. Yet I signed up for a half marathon that I was supposed to run with you last year (and didn't run) and signed up for a 10 miler in March this year (which again I did not run). So no spring races for me so long as I am studying for the CFA and living in a place with cold/snowy winters.
ReplyDeleteThis is akin to the reason that I've never thrown in my hat for Zumba instructor training, even though it seems like fun. There are times of the year where it is not cool to have some hobby-type thing on my schedule that I can't peace out of if need be. When I do get tied into something there's a danger that my fun will suddenly start to seem like a chore. I've really been trying to shift into a Primal Blueprint philosophy of exercise this year -- lots of low intensity movement (standing desk, walking, dancing), short bursts of intense weight work or bodyweight exercise, and extended cardio (Zumba) only if I am really feeling it as "play" and I know it won't burn me out.
ReplyDeleteI always think traveling for a race makes it much more difficult as well, on top of being really busy beforehand. Congrats on another half marathon though! I seem to have a worse experience in the fall it's more about what else is going on and could shift, this year it was definitely an issue coming off winter!
ReplyDeleteI understand all your thoughts regarding this experience. Wishing you were able to enjoy the scenery more on the race! I agree in that travel really plays a role in how a race will turn out. Besides the extra added costs, travel is stressful. I think it adds a layer of mental stress that one carries into a race. There are some more resilient to upheaval, but most of us feel travel stress. I love to travel myself, but adding racing to it, not sure I love it then so much. For me, I've kind of decided that if I will travel far to a race, I need a vacation out of it and the race can't be an "A" race for me. It has to be a fun one with no high expectations. Rest well and hopefully you finally get some Spring up there!
ReplyDeleteSorry the race wasn't what you'd hoped, but congratulations on finishing well in spite of it all! How absolutely horrible that they ran out of water and cups! That couldn't have made it any better for you. As far as the timing, live and learn, right?
ReplyDeleteCongrats! A race is a race and you stuck it out. I've had to learn the hard way like that before too, and now you know not to place a race at this time--worthwhile lesson. I'll bet Vancouver was an awesome place to explore...on my bucket list of places to go!
ReplyDeleteYurg, menstrual cramps alone would make a race miserable for me. I'm quite impressed that you finished and honestly? That's not a bad time at all, considering you had so many factors working against you. Had you not stopped for a biffy break, I think you would have finished in 2:26-27.
ReplyDeleteBig picture perspective: you had a kick-ass April with lots of successes, including a strong running month (65 miles! I stand in awe of your legs.) and good academic progress. A new half-marathon PR will be yours, eventually--have faith in yourself. I have faith in you :-)
Oh wow, that sounds like a tough race!! Congrats on still finishing so close to your goal time, despite feeling awful. It does look like a beautiful place to run!
ReplyDeleteOh noes! I'm so sorry that you had a less than ideal race experience. You're right - 13.1 miles is a distance to respect. But you're also right - you FINISHED! That says a lot about both your fitness level and your mental toughness!
ReplyDeleteThose views are gorgeous. While you didn't get the chance to appreciate them during the race, glad you got a nice little get away out of it!