Gosh! It's been so long since I've posted that I'm not even sure where to start or if I remember how to blog at all. Taking some time away from this space made me realize how much I missed the community and the accountability that posting a couple of times a week provides. I'm still seeking work-life-rebuilding base running balance, but here I am. Back again. If I write it, I'll do it, right? At the moment, my runs are mostly in the 2-3 mile range, and I've been running 2-3 times a week. I'm shooting for 30 miles in the month of October.
Over the summer, I was on the move so much that I hardly had time to catch my breath. My mileage was embarrassingly low, and my consumption of chorizo was incredibly high. I'm not sure I would reverse it, though, even if I could. I had an amazing summer. The highlights included running a 10K "with" my friend in NYC, meeting a great group of scholars at an institute, visiting some great museums, having an incredibly productive research trip to Spain that was also filled with wonderful times with friends in Madrid and spending two weeks staying in a tiny studio apartment with the most an amazing terrace in Sevilla.
.JPG) |
| the view from the terrace |
I was reunited with my wonderful partner in crime in Toronto at the beginning of August for some family time and work on an article (that has since been submitted to an academic journal). Since returning to my mountain fortress, things have been moving non-stop. We had a friend come to visit from California, I got new glasses, I bought a bike, and the semester started. I've been teaching 3 classes (2 of them brand new to my institution), trying to get research done, and I'm chairing a committee and sitting on several others. We joined a gym so that I could do more cross-training, and we've been trying to get out and explore more on the weekends. This has led to getting to see some amazing views and having a couple of misadventures -- fortunately, so far none of them have involved bears.

If any of you are still out there, I would love to know how you are doing? I am so behind on blog reading that I'm essentially having to mark all as read in order to stay sane, but please do update me on any major news that I missed during my absence!
Great to read this! Sounds like things are going well!
ReplyDeleteI have been a lurker for awhile--fellow academic and trying to become a beginner runner. Glad you are back!
ReplyDeleteI've been reading your blog for a few years as a fellow academic-runner! I don't blog at the moment, but I wanted to drop by to say I missed your updates and I'm glad to hear you're back and had a good summer!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back!
ReplyDeletewelcome back! I abandoned blogging awhile ago but find I miss the accountability, too.
ReplyDeleteNo wonder you haven't been blogging. You've been crazy busy and productive! Still, I'm selfishly really pleased to see you back here.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! I just went to your blog the other day because I hadn't seen any posts from you in my reader for a while and wondered what was up. I was so sad to see your blog was inactive, so I'm really glad to know you're back! No big news in these parts, except that I'm inching closer to finishing my thesis/novel and slowly getting back into running 3x a week myself. :)
ReplyDeleteHa! I knew you couldn't stay away :-)
ReplyDeleteHURRAY! You're back! I am delighted to see your updates. It's wonderful that you had a great summer--your terrace looks very inviting :-) At the risk of sounding selfish, seeing you back in action here makes me excited for more running, more goal-setting, more getting things done. You always inspire me!
ReplyDeleteAlso, this line is the best: "My mileage was embarrassingly low, and my consumption of chorizo was incredibly high." So it goes :-)
Welcome back, dear friend! We have missed you.
Welcome back! You know, there is nothing wrong with a little chorizo from time to time! I spent most of 2010 and 2011 eating great food and not worrying about running and it was pretty awesome. It sounds like you had a great summer and that you were out DOING instead of worrying about the computer and/or blogging. You haven't missed much in my life...I am running and eating and working overtime and have been pretty busy trying to make time for it all. I haven't been blogging much lately either! Here's hoping you are enjoying your Autumn (and BOOT season!) and I can't wait to see more of you in the blogosphere.
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! Updates here: I have a half marathon in 2.5 weeks, I'm browsing races for next year with the intent of a half in the spring and a full in the fall. We're settling into life in UT, but it's been a VERY slow process. Glad you're back!!
ReplyDeleteWelcome back! :-)
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you're doing well.
(PS - chorizo is delicious)
Welcome back! I am happy to see posts from you again in my reader because I have missed you! But I totally understand that it's a tough balancing act! I am glad you had a great summer. I hope this semester is off to a good start for you - I suppose it's about half over by now, if not even further along than that!
ReplyDeleteWell you know the big things that are going on in my life I think. I'm half way through my year commitment to Charlotte so 2014 will be an interesting year as I will have to figure out what is next. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis in August so that has really sidelined my return to running, but at least I have an explanation for why I felt so crappy this summer. And the most exciting thing is that my trip to Paris is just over a month away!