Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Week in Workouts: October 21-27

This past week was the height of midterm grading season, so things have been busy around these parts. I did, however, manage to get in some quality workouts last week.

Monday - gym. I did 20 minutes of weights and then 25 minutes on the elliptical.

Tuesday - 3 mile run. This was a windy and hilly run through my neighborhood, but I was happy that I got out there. My pace averaged out to 10:47 min/mile.

Wednesday - about 25 or 30 minutes of cycling. Mark and I headed out on our bikes instead of hitting the gym since it was a nice afternoon, but our ride was cut short due to some mechanical issues with Mark's wheels. It was a bit of a bummer, but at least we got out in the fresh air for a bit.

Thursday - active rest. I got in about 30 minutes of walking around campus. I had planned to run in the afternoon, but since I opted to go to a volleyball game in the evening with a couple of friends I decided to postpone my run to the weekend.

Friday - rest. I did some housecleaning, but I didn't get in a workout.

Saturday - 2.5 mile run at a 10:26 min/mile pace. I was feeling good and would have extended it by another mile if I had known that the football game I wanted to get back in time to watch was going to have its start delayed.

Sunday - rest. I had a late night out on Saturday with friends that involved a delicious meal out, a visit to a haunted house with some legitimate spook to it, and martinis. The martinis hadn't really been part of the plan, and I was a bit sluggish all day. This sluggishness was magnified by the malaise that often accompanies grading midterms and papers.

If I want to hit my mileage goal for the month of October, I still need to run 5 miles before the end of the day on Thursday, so my workout goals for the upcoming week are to cover those running miles and get in at least two cross-training workouts. I'm also aiming to start using my makeshift standing desk a bit more when I'm working at home. What are your workout goals for the week? Do you have any fun Halloween plans?

5 comments:

  1. My goals are to get some sort of workouts in this week. hopefully a few runs (yet to happen). i know, I have the bar set pretty low...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you fit as many workouts as you did during such a busy week! Last week was a pretty good week for me in terms of workouts. I fit 4 workouts in, 2 of which were spin classes. I have pretty much no evening commitments this week so my goal is to get 6 workouts in as I travel next week so know it won't be a great week for workouts for me! I miss running but it is really nice to be able to do spin classes as they are an awesome workout - I am hoping to fit 3 spin classes in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having to miss my usual Friday morning yoga class because of a department meeting (Boo!), so today I'm trying something a bit risky -- trying to fit in a 75-minute yoga class that ends 40 minutes before my first class -- and it's off campus. So I've got the class completely prepped, and now will just cross my fingers that it's not an overly sweaty class AND that there is parking right where I need it to be when I zip onto campus 15 minutes before start of class. But I really need the stretch and the breathing -- to get me ready for a weekend of marking (again, BOO! academe is Halloween-scary, right?) Sounds as if you're doing a good job of balancing fitness goals and work demands. ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on your mileage goal! You've still got a few hours left today :-)

    I love Halloween! I enjoy seeing all the costumes and decorations. I'm not much of a participant, more of an admirer. Tonight I'm meeting friends for wine and gossip at a wine bar--I'm looking forward to it. It's been too long since I've done that.

    As for work-outs, I'm taking it easy this week with short, low-impact work-outs. I feel really good after the marathon, but I'm still taking it easy just to be on the safe side. I'll probably try to squeeze a walk into my day tomorrow, and I'll do a short "long run" on Sunday--probably 40 minutes if I feel good.

    Happy Halloween, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love martinis! I usually stay away from them because it only takes a couple for me to go downhill fast! However, they are one of my favorite drinks! I hope you had a great Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.