Monday, October 21, 2013

The Week in Workouts: October 14-20

Well, I didn't hit my goal of running at least three times this past week, but I did get in two runs and some good cross-training.

Monday - gym. I did 20 minutes of weights and then 30 minutes on the elliptical Most of the time on the elliptical I held a pretty moderate pace, but I did throw in four 2-minute intervals of 8 seconds fast followed by 12 seconds at a moderate pace.

Tuesday - active rest. I got in 30 minutes of walking around campus.

Wednesday - off. I had planned to go to the gym, but Mark forget his gym bag at his (locked) place of work. Since I was also feeling a bit under the weather, I decided to skip the gym in favor of a night on the couch.

Thursday - gym. I did 10 minutes of weights and then ran 2.3 miles on the treadmill. In order to prevent it from being too boring, I mixed in a couple of faster 1/4 mile intervals. I cooled down with another 10 minutes of walking.

Friday - gym. I did 45 minutes on the elliptical machine at a moderate intensity.

Saturday - run. I did 3 windy and hilly miles in my neighborhood at an average pace of 10:47min/mile.

Sunday - hike. I had planned to run, but instead Mark and I opted to head out for a post-brunch hike. We climbed part of the way up Flattop before I started feeling a little bit acrophobic and we decided to head back down. All told, we got in about 70 minutes of hiking, experienced some wind, snow, and a tiny bit of hail, and got to take in some nice views.



I'm still hoping to hit 30 running miles this month, so my workout goals for this coming week include running at least 3 times as well as getting in at least two cross-training workouts. What was your favorite workout of the past week? What are your workout goals for this next week?

2 comments:

  1. Hiking is a brilliant substitute for running, especially with vistas like that -- wow! My workout goal last week wasn't exactly a workout goal -- but I managed a second visit with a new physio and got IMS treatment for some hip-opening, then followed up with Therapeutic Massage the next day. I'm pleased to be paying more attention to stretching and trying to intervene more quickly when I sense injury settling in . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I still think you fit in a lot of great workouts! I think it's great that you did as much strength training as you did! My workout goal for this week is to workout 5 times, which is challenging as I have a string of evening commitments which means getting up before work to go to the gym. I did this morning and plan to tomorrow and Friday. I am also going to try my first spin class as I think I should be able to handle it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.