Thursday, November 7, 2013

Currently: November

I'm still trying to rediscover my blogging voice and carve out time for this little writing space, so I thought I would do a currently post.

Current Netflix/TV Obsession: For the past few weeks I've felt an emptiness as the world waits for more episodes of Orange of the New Black (so fracking good). In the meantime, we have been watching the series Whitechapel. However, some of my students told me that I should start watching the David Tennant Casanova ASAP.

Current Running Revelation: When you are trying to rebuild your fitness back from nothing, the most important thing is just trying to get back out there with some level of consistency. My goal for the month is to run at least 3 times each week and to add 5-10 minutes each week to at least one of those runs.

Current Weight Watchers' Progress: After losing about 10 pounds between March and June, I gained them back in July and August by not following the plan at all. In September and October, I lost and gained the same 3 pounds over and over again. This month I'm hitting reset. I joined an accountability group with some Friends and Friends of Friends on Facebook, and I'm committed to tracking everything.

Currently Looking Forward To: I'm really looking forward to seeing family over the holidays. I can't wait to meet my new niece, Lily, and to see the rest of my family!

Current Book: I'm currently reading Nada by Carmen Laforet in Spanish. I've also recently been reading some of the Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey novels, which are a lot of fun. If you like Downton and/or Sherlock, I highly recommend these.

Current Drink: Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. It's that time of the semester. What can I say?

Current Excitement: Last week I welcomed a new niece to the world! It's pretty thrilling to be an aunty again.

Current Fashion Trend: I love that red, plaids, and houndstooth are in right now. I have quite a few pieces already in my closet, so it's nice to bust them out and feel on-trend.

Current Love: It's pretty dorky, but I'm really lovin' working on my book right now. I'm trying to spend at least 30 minutes most days on it for the rest of this semester since I have a couple of other projects that are still on my desk. I hope I can increase that in the spring, and I can't wait for the summer when I can devote most of my mental energies to it.

Current Food: Pumpkin! My friend has made me delicious pumpkin soups for lunch a couple of times in the past month, and I made a delicious pumpkin seed, parsley, and cilantro pesto the other night. And of course there is the clichéd but always delicious PSL.

Current Indulgence: Painting my nails. I don't always really have the time to do it, but I do it a few times a week anyway.

Currently Pondering: Article revisions and book manuscript revisions. Everywhere I look there are revisions to be done.

Current Mood: Responsible. This afternoon I have an appointment with my financial advisor. Tomorrow I have an appointment to (hopefully) get my treadmill repaired. I'm also setting a goal to make some other appointments that I should have quite some time ago, including an annual exam and a physical.

Current New Find: My happy lamp. After several friends recommended that I get one, I purchased a happy lamp a few weeks ago. Maybe it's placebo effect, but it does seem to be helping my mood and internal clock even as we start moving into the times of much darkness here.

Current Outfit: I'll show you.


Current Peeve: Maybe I'm mellowing in my old age, but I don't have any new peeves to add right now.

Current Song: Since Lou Reed's death, I've been revisiting a lot of my favorite Velvet Undergrounds tunes like "Beginning to See the Light" and "Pale Blue Eyes."

Current Triumph: Returning to yoga. I hadn't been to a class for about a month, and I made it to a nice Yin class last night with a couple of friends.

Current Wish-List: If my treadmill cannot be easily or relatively expensively fixed, a new one will top my wish-list. With the shrinking hours of light, it is just so much more convenient to get in weekday runs on the treadmill, and it's a challenge to fit the gym in more days of the week because of work and car-sharing.

Currently Delaying: Grading.

What are you currently up to? What's currently on your wish-list? What's currently exciting you?

13 comments:

  1. Love yin yoga classes! And I love your smile in that outfit post -- too cute! AND speaking of too cute -- your nieces!! OMG! How tiny and cute the new one looks, and the expression on big sister's face?! Adorable, completely . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay happy lamp. Lamp in the morning, melatonin before bedtime, works very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also loved OifNB! We just started House of Cards on Netflix and so far it's pretty good. Also hear you on the coffee. Just a few weeks until break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we both must have taken a 'blog' break :) Glad to see you back! I've read one Dorothy Sayers book. I enjoy the Lady Julia Grey mysteries as well as Elizabeth Peters series too, out of Brit period mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed OITNB! But I think the weird thing about Netflix series is that, unlike regular TV, no one has any idea when that's coming back.

    I may need to look into a happy lamp - it starts getting dark here at around 3-3:30, which is so depressing (I know not nearly as bad as there).

    And Pale Blue Eyes is one of my favorite songs of all time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm guessing the effects from the happy lamp are real. I have a hard enough time here when the days are shorter, I can't imagine the effect that extreme short days would have on my mood. It wouldn't be pretty, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the "current" list! In terms of TV, did you see "House of Cards"? Also a Netflix production. We're also into season 3 of "The Killing".
    And yes to looking forward to the holidays. I'm not exactly counting down the days, but almost.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your outfit and I think you look totally slim and trim! I am having a hard time with the early dark lately so I am sure it will especially be a challenge for you. Having a treadmill is a great way to get some work outs in during the winter! I also found a great vinyasa yoga on my On Demand, which is great and a perfect way to get in an extra work out at home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your outfit! And your nieces are so cute - congrats on being an aunt again! How exciting! My sister is expecting in February (on my birthday) so I will be an aunt again soon!

    I am currently struggling with living in Charlotte... I was doing better, but now I seem to be entering another tough stretch, probably because I don't have any return trips to Minneapolis scheduled and likely won't go back until I have an interview scheduled (which who knows when that will be).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you sound really happy about everything! I'm delighted that you are enjoying your book-writing so much. That's a real treat. And I think I'm going to check out Orange is the New Black, since everyone is raving about it here.

    PS Bummer about your treadmill! Fingers crossed that you find an affordable solution...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look great in the outfit picture! Super cute and happy and healthy.

    I'm also looking forward to Christmas with family. I don't have much of a 'nuclear' family, but my mom, brother, and I will all be in Vancouver for Christmas and that's enough reason to celebrate for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pale blue eyes! I haven't listened to that in ages. And now it's in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the David Tennant Casanova! It's so fun! Well, until the end and then it's depressing. But it's mostly fun.

    You have time to paint your nails a couple times a week? I have to try really, really hard to do it once a week. I love a nice manni, but being held hostage waiting for it to dry kills me.
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.