Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Four Goals for 2014

Somehow 2013 came and went, and I didn't do too much blogging during the year. Although I ran two half-marathons and a 10K, it was also a low mileage year for me (only about 520 miles logged and most in the first half of the year). While 2013 had some good moments and brought with it some opportunities for professional and personal growth, it wasn't my favorite of years for a variety of reasons that I won't go into here and now.  I'm welcoming 2014 as a symbolic reset and setting four major goals/intentions for the year to come.


1. End 2014 in better physical condition than I am starting it. I will get into better shape by running more -- hopefully closer to 750-800 miles and at least two half marathons: one in the spring (I'm still deciding between a race in Portland and one in Salt Lake City) and one in the late summer or early fall. I might also run one in the later autumn, depending on how the rest of my schedule is shaping up. I will also achieve this goal by maintaining a food journal every day for the entire year. For every day that I honestly log everything that I consume I will allow myself a dollar to spend. I'd also like to work toward eliminating most junk food and meat from my regular diet and trying at least one new healthy recipe a month. Finally, I will establish a regular meditation practice.

2. Work smarter (but not necessarily harder). This is a year when I really need to prioritize research and writing. To that end, I'm going to make a work plan and priority list at the beginning of each week, limit my use of social media during regular work hours Monday through Friday, limit my reading of and writing of emails to a couple of times a day, and make better use of small available blocks of time between meetings and classes. Those random half hours that appear when a meeting ends early or a student doesn't show up for an appointment seem like good times to grade homework or do a quick Italian lesson. I will also continue to strive toward a goal that has been successful for me over the past two years of writing or revising a minimum of 3 pages each week.

3. Take a class and learn a new thing or two. Aside from my continuing Italian lessons, I'd like to learn more new skills. Maybe I'll take a cross-country skiing class or an online photography class or a cooking class. Maybe I'll do all three.

4. Blog more (and more regularly) than I did in 2013 in order to be accountable and connect with wonderful communities on the internets.

Happy New Year! What are your goals or intentions for 2014?

6 comments:

  1. That is a great set of goals! I set for myself that I will be sharing on Monday, but my biggest one is finding a job back in the Midwest. If I accomplish nothing more than that in 2014, I will be content. :)

    I am glad blogging more is on your list because I miss your posts! (but totally understand that you've been super busy!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great, well thought-out goals! I like the idea of adding an incentive to logging your food each day! And the more I've gotten into it, I really love trying new healthy recipes, so hopefully that monthly goal isn't too tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So specific, exactly as focussed as goals need to be. I, on the other hand, rarely write mine down and I never feel motivated to do so at New Year's. I did register again for BMO; we'll see if I get to the start line this time. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two thumbs up! I like the themes you are capturing with your goals: physical and mental health, professional, personal growth, and connection. Your intentions seem very balanced and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I too look forward to more blogging in this space :-) But I trust that you know that I'll come back and read your posts even if you take extended breaks--blogging should be something that lifts you up, not something that drags you down in obligation.

      Delete
  5. I think my goal list pretty much mirrors yours! I have really been slack on the blogging front and have missed seeing your posts as well! Sometimes life just gets in the way though! I also really agree with Rosiecat...blogging should be something you do when you are feeling inspired, not a chore that you must do each day/week! Happy New Year and good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.