Tuesday, January 19, 2016

A Long Weekend's Worth of Workouts

It's something of a treat to have a long weekend at the very beginning of the term. Although I didn't take the holiday completely off from class prep and research, having the extra day gave me some more flexibility over the weekend to do some extra leisure reading, watch some football, get a pedicure with a friend, stop by a party, and get in some good activity.

Late Saturday morning I was just about to finally find the motivation to get out of my pjs and do a few miles on the treadmill, when a running buddy of mine texted me to see if I'd be up for joining her on her run in our neighborhood. We agreed to meet up a few minutes later and then ran out to a nearby trail for an easy out and back. Due to some technological mishaps, we had to guess a bit on our mileage. My Garmin died two minutes into the run (I really need to get back into the habit of charging it) and she forgot to restart her running app when we stopped for her dog to take care of some business. My best educated guess is we did about 3 miles in about 35 minutes. It was fun if a little bit cold and icy.

My hair all silvery from the frost.
On Sunday morning I tried to hit the gym for some cross-training. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a waste of time. I didn't realize that, while parts of the campus sports center complex open early, the facility's fitness center doesn't open until later in the day on Saturday and Sunday. Rather than taking the time to return later in the day, I opted to go home and just do 30 minutes of step aerobics while watching some playoff football. I can't really beat the price of membership to the campus gym, but in the future I'll have to remember to check the times since the hours are pretty limited.

Yesterday I took advantage of the holiday campus closure to spend most of my morning working on a writing project and getting in a little bit of a longer run of 5 easy miles. I confess that I did this run on my treadmill just so that I could justify watching an episode of a cheesy melodrama that I somehow missed back when it was all the rage.

Do you have a gym membership? Are you currently watching/listening to anything while you workout?

3 comments:

  1. I typically don't have a gym membership but during the winter months I am treating myself to an unlimited membership at Core Power Yoga. It's so expensive but the cost motivates me to go 3-4 times a month which makes the cost/class reasonable. Plus it's so good for me - mind, body, and soul! Once the weather normalizes and I can be outdoors more, I'll cancel the membership and just run and use the gym in my condo. When I move out of my condo, though, I'll have to get a membership but will probably try to go somewhere cheap like LA Fitness.

    I ran on the treadmill yesterday, too, as I had to do something but it was way too cold to run outside. I listened to the latest podcast from "The Minimalists." I try not to run on the treadmill much but if I do, I either listen to a podcast or watch something on the Food network or HGTV to make the time pass faster!

    I love the red coat you wore on your run! My winter running jacket is red, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a gym membership, I never go often enough to get my money's worth. I have been listening to podcasts and audiobooks on my runs lately. I miss having the treadmill as an option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to listen to audio books. I just finished East to the Dawn, a very detailed book about Amelia Earhart.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.