A new semester started on Monday. Being an avowed nerd and a higher ed professional, I always look forward to the start of classes even when I'm simultaneously wishing for another week of break. Since I'm teaching three courses this term -- one on Mondays and Wednesdays and two on Tuesdays and Thursdays -- I got two first days of class and two back-to-school outfits. ;)
For the first time in a couple of years, I'm not teaching a class at 8:30. Because I'm a morning person, the slot has never been a challenge for me personally, but I recognize that it can be harder for students. Also I have to admit that I'm also pretty happy to be able to get up at the same time (or even fifteen minutes later than I was for the better part of 6 years) and get in an hour of research and writing at home and/or a workout before I start those days on campus. Clearly, I c/should also be using that time to let go of the holidays and change over the decor on our mantle.
Aside from the start of the semester, I don't have too much news to report. The only other real incident of note is that I gave myself a pretty bad (but not quite bad enough for stitches) cut on our kitchen mandolin a few nights ago. The scalloped potatoes turned out to be delicious, but I'm not sure they were quite worth the injury.
Academic friends, do you like teaching early in the morning? Did you loathe or like taking early morning classes when you were a student?



Because of where we live, I finally asked not to do 8:30s, as they meant I had to be on the 7 ferry -- which, of course, meant being up by 6, latest. Starting at 10 meant I could fit in a run if I was organized.
ReplyDeleteYou're looking fabulous! Love your hair like this, and I love both these outfits, but the blue skirt especially. I do miss dressing for class, I have to say. . .
Thanks, Frances! The skirt was a clearance score at Nordstrom's. I think it was only $10 or $15. I had a pixie again last year so it took some awkward growing out over the summer, but I'm pretty happy with the results.
DeleteSaying no to 8:30s with that kind of commute makes total sense.
I am glad you are bringing back your Thursday Threads posts as I love seeing the outfits you come up with! I really really wish that I could come and audit one of your classes - or at least sit in on a couple. I can tell how passionate you are about the subject material which makes for a great learning experience for students. The best professor I had in college was a math teacher who was crazy enthusiastic about the material. And his love for it was contagious!
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in college, I avoided 8 am classes like the plague. I was NOT a morning person back then so ideally I liked my days to start at 9 or 10.
Thank you, Lisa! If you ever come visit me up here and the school year is on, I will let you sit in. :D
DeleteI love that blue and black striped skirt, it's so fun! I have always been a morning person so I preferred morning classes when I was in school, for the most part. I love when I could get up and study and then get my classes done and have the afternoon for napping and doing homework.
ReplyDeleteDitto! The only time I sucked at morning classes was the semester and a half I worked graveyard shifts. I was so tired from being up all night.
DeleteI LOVE the blue striped skirt. Love. And I'm so glad you're back to blogging and running. I skimmed some of your recent posts, and I sympathize with a lot of the workplace struggles. I'm insisting on focusing on my own health and well-being more this year. Sounds like I'll be in good company.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I actually got it on the cheap at a clearance sale at Nordstrom's a couple of years ago.
DeleteHere's to focusing more on self-care and our health than sometimes in the past!