Here's the plan:
| Sunday | Mon | Tue | Wed | Thr | Fri | Saturday | ||||||||
| Jan-24 | Rest | 40 mins | 40 mins | 40 mins | (1) | 40 mins | Rest | 50 mins | ||||||
| Jan-31 | Rest | 40 mins | 40 mins | 40 mins | (1) | 40 mins | Rest | 60 mins | ||||||
| Feb-07 | Rest | 40 mins | 40 mins | 40 mins | (1) | 50 mins | Rest | 70 mins | ||||||
| Feb-14 | Rest | 40 mins | 40 mins | 40 mins | (1) | 50 mins | Rest | 80 mins | ||||||
| Feb-21 | Rest | 40 mins | 40 mins | 40 mins | (1) | 50 mins | Rest | 90 mins | ||||||
| Feb-28 | Rest | 40 mins | 40 mins | 40 mins | (1) | 50 mins | Rest | 90 mins | ||||||
| Mar-06 | Rest | 40 mins | 60 mins | 60 mins | (1) | 40 mins | Rest | 100 mins | ||||||
| Mar-13 | Rest | 40 mins | 60 mins | 60 mins | (1) | 40 mins | Rest | 120 mins | (1) | |||||
| Mar-20 | Rest | 40 mins | 60 mins | 60 mins | (1) | 40 mins | Rest | 140 mins | (1) | |||||
| Mar-27 | Rest | 40 mins | 60 mins | 60 mins | (2) | 40 mins | Rest | 100 mins | ||||||
| Apr-03 | Rest | 40 mins | 40 mins | 45 mins | (1) | 40 mins | Rest | 140 mins | (1) | |||||
| Apr-10 | Rest | 40 mins | 60 mins | 60 mins | (2) | 40 mins | Rest | 160 mins | (2) | |||||
| Apr-17 | Rest | 40 mins | 60 mins | 60 mins | (2) | 40 mins | Rest | 100 mins | ||||||
| Apr-24 | Rest | 40 mins | 40 mins | 45 mins | (1) | 40 mins | Rest | 160 mins | (2) | |||||
| May-01 | Rest | 40 mins | 60 mins | 60 mins | (3) | 40 mins | Rest | 100 mins | ||||||
| May-08 | Rest | 40 mins | 60 mins | 60 mins | (3) | 40 mins | Rest | 180 mins | (3) | |||||
| May-15 | Rest | 40 mins | 50 mins | 45 mins | (1) | 50 mins | Rest | 120 mins | ||||||
| May-22 | Rest | 40 mins | 40 mins | 45 mins | (1) | 50 mins | Rest | 80 mins | ||||||
| May-29 | Rest | 40 mins | 40 mins | 45 mins | (1) | 50 mins | Rest | 50 mins | ||||||
| Jun-05 | Rest | 40 mins | 40 mins | 45 mins | (1) | 50 mins | Rest | 50 mins | ||||||
| Jun-12 | Rest | 40 mins | 40 mins | 40 mins | 40 mins | Rest | RACE | |||||||
Saturdays are long run days with the team. Mondays are slow recovery runs. Tuesdays will be group runs at pace, and hopefully I'll be able to attend most of our sessions. According to the plan, Wednesdays are runs with some quality work -- hills, strides, speed-work, etc. and Thursdays are supposed to be cross-training days. I'll likely frequently reverse my Wednesday and Thursday workouts due to my teaching schedule and so that I can get in a yoga class with a friend here and there on Wednesdays. Plus, this semester I've been meeting another friend to run on Thursday mornings, so I'd like to continue our workout dates. As you can see from the training plan, we will mainly be running by time rather than mileage, but the coaches mentioned that there may be a few tweaks here and there to the plan in order to ensure adequate preparation for the event. I have no doubt that our coaches will do what they can to make sure we are ready and to get us to the starting line healthy.
Are you currently training for any races? Do you have a more rigid or a more flexible schedule when it comes to exercise and fitness?
We are running our marathons on the same day as I'm doing Grandma's this year! My club doesn't start their official training season until early March but I am starting on Feb 15th as that's 18 weeks out from the race. I am trying to build my mileage right now so that I will be able to do 10 pretty easily by the week of Feb 15th. I was hoping to build this month but that did not happen due to my cold, sinus infection and stupid RA flare. But I'm planning to do 8 this weekend which should go ok as 6 went fine last week.
ReplyDeleteI have a fairly rigid schedule when it comes to exercising, especially when training for a marathon. Our club runs Mon & Wed nights and Saturday mornings. I usually try to strength train or will do yoga on Tues and Thur. Typically I would do something like yoga on Sunday but I think this training cycle I will take a full day off so my body can recover. Last year when I was training for the marathon I was also training for a tri and I wasn't sleeping well so my poor body really paid for it. I think I was over training and I don't want to make that mistake again!
I'm so excited to know that we'll be racing on the same day! I can't wait to hear more about your training as the winter and spring progress. It's great that you had a good 6 miler after being sick and having a flare so recently.
DeleteI'm training for a half in March right now, I haven't planned too far into the year because I have some changes to my schedule coming up and I don't want to have to back out of anything.
ReplyDeleteI do much better with some kind of plan for training. If it isn't written down I am more likely to sit around and eat candy ;)
I honestly think that running marathon might kill me. And I know I am WAY too undisciplined to pull it off. Which is a roundabout way of saying you're pretty awesome and I'm sure you'll do wonderfully!
ReplyDeleteCourtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines
That looks like a pretty solid schedule! I like that it's in minutes instead of miles, as I think it seems less daunting. However, my math brain is automatically calculating how many miles I think that would be. Force of habit, I guess.
ReplyDeleteI signed up for a ultra in Colorado in August and I really need to work on a training plan myself. Not only miles and time but elevation and fueling and overnight running etc... I know I can do it, but sometimes I wake up a bit and wonder what the heck I was thinking when I signed up!