Monday, February 1, 2016

January 2016 in Review

I know it's cliche, but I can't believe January is already over. The semester is in full swing. I already have piles of grading to do and more irons than fires to heat them. Yet, I'm not sure I would have it any other way. Here's a brief recap of my progress toward each of my big four goals for the year.

1. Run my third marathon and PR while doing it.
I'm hoping to hit 800 miles this year, and in January I ran 41.15 miles. My first full week of marathon training with TNT is also in the books, and it was lovely to run with other members of the team. My most challenging run was probably just a short recovery run last Monday. The trails were really mushy and slick and my slow pace felt a lot harder than it should on a recover run. I might have bailed early had I not been with my buddy who shares my love of bright running clothes. My best run was probably Saturday's 50 minute run. I just felt steady and in-tune with my body the whole time. Also I was delighted that the trails were much less slippery than I anticipated. I did a fair amount of cross-training this month, as well, so 2016 is off to a solid start in the running and fitness category.

2. Progress on my academic research projects. I have been leading a writing group at my university and, as a result, over the past couple of weeks have made some good progress on revising a draft of an article I'm hoping to send out by the end of this term. As of yesterday, I have met my goal of transcribing five documents for my new book project this month. I've also started drafting a proposal for a conference paper. I'm hoping that I will get accepted and be able to go to the conference in August.

3. Establish a mindful practice of gratitude and optimism. There have been some pretty big obstacles to this: the Alaska economic problems and concerns about budgets at my institution have been worrisome. The semester started with the announcement of a hiring and travel freeze (thus, my uncertainty about being able to attend the conference if I'm accepted). We know more cuts will be coming. There's not much I can do about the price of oil, though, so I've been trying to focus on positive things and positive steps to change things I can control. One thing I've been doing is journaling daily in a gratitude app. I only missed one day in January. Another thing I've been trying to do is say thank you more frequently to colleagues who lend a hand and to students who are working hard inside and outside of the classroom. In general, I'm trying to be a bit more polite and patient. I am privileged in many ways.

4. Write some non-academic things. Well, I've already written more blog posts in 2016 than I did in 2014 and 2015 combined so there's that. I've started working on a short story, but I admit that I'm struggling a bit to find a voice and a style outside of the academic genre. It's been ages since I've written any fiction so it's not a surprise that I'm finding it to be alien terrain. We'll see how it goes, but I'm hoping to finish at least one draft of one short story by the end of the semester. I've been trying to get up early and research and write this piece two days a week, but due to the insidious workaholism to which I can be prone it's hard for me not to feel guilty for using that time to work on fiction rather than academic writing or class prep.

If you set any goals for the year, how is your progress going? Do you struggle with maintaining work-life balance and/or with feeling guilty about spending time on your interests and hobbies?

6 comments:

  1. Always impressed with your goal-setting and what you achieve! I've got a number of goals that I'm trying to keep fluid in a year of transitions on several fronts. Getting a grip on Italian is one I'm making slow progress on, and I'm trying to keep my French up as well. I'd like to firm up some writing goals, but so far I haven't pushed them high enough up my list. Maybe I should take a page from your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you've written more blog posts in the last month than the last 2 years! I really missed your blog so am glad you are back at it!

    I'm doing ok on my goals. I'm not sure about my ability to PR at the marathon as my running has really taken a set back lately due to my RA and some other muscle pain I'm having. :/ But I had my first shouldless day and look forward to more in the months to come and I went to a volunteer info session and will take a required training in March so I can start to volunteer in adult ESL classrooms!

    I used to struggle with work/life balance when I worked at my last 2 jobs because it was a very competitive environment and people differentiated themselves by working longer hours so I felt guilty when I left before others. In my current role, it's not really like that anymore so I don't feel pressured to stay late for the sake of staying late. I'm in this new-to-me place right now where I'm really content with where I am at and don't really feel driven to get promoted/take on more responsibility. I feel lazy saying that but I think I've seen the sacrifices I'd have to make to advance my career further and they aren't worth it... So I'm happy that I'm in a role where I'm challenged and fairly compensated and can grow without having to fight for a promotion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your irons in the fire metaphor is spot on. I find that the more I have on my plate the easier it is to keep everything balanced and in moderation. I'm forced to budget my energy and not let one thing consume all of me. So far so good for 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for kicking off marathon training! I didn't really set any goals this year, at least I didn't write any down.. life was so busy in December and the beginning of Jan I just never got to it. I suppose it isn't too late, but the thought of it isn't all that thrilling to me right now. It is hard finding time for myself and I hate it when my kids make me feel guilty about it, ugh. but I do know I deserve it after all I do for them and my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice goals! If I keep up my running miles like I did in January, I'll meet my goal of running 2,016 miles this year. Sometimes I don't get around to keeping my daily goal of adding 3 items to my gratitude list. That's something I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet that starting a new cycle of marathon training is exciting! I know for me, I like to have that end goal that I am working towards, or else I get lazy and put things off. Having a schedule really helps keep me on track and having a goal really makes me push myself harder. I know what you mean about the irons. You know what they say: If you need something done, ask a busy person. I sometimes get a bit burned out, but I always get a lot done when I have a lot on my plate. This week at work is busy and I have a lot of after work weekday activities in the next couple of weeks, but I will hopefully have a bit of down time in a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.