Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Scenes From the First Run of 2016

Full disclosure: due to jet lag and a cold, I didn't even make it until midnight on New Year's Eve. After a good night's sleep, I awoke refreshed and ready to start 2016. On the first morning of the year, I texted my friend Heather to see if she was still up for a run. We had previously discussed possibly running in our neighborhood or on a trail system very close to it, but it had been sleeting on top of a turn-of-the-year warm up and refreeze, so our streets and walks were quite icy. We decided to attempt the coastal trail, so she and her dog Beatrix picked me up and we drove a little ways to begin our run.


The Coastal Trail was also rather icy, but we had on our screw shoes. I have to say that their tread is pretty magical, and they are much more comfortable than wearing yak tracks. (If you live in a place with snowy and icy winters and don't already do so, I highly recommend investigating to see if your local running store will put screws in a pair of your running shoes for you.) Also we didn't have to contend with cars that might be turning corners without full control like we would have if we had run nearer to our homes.


We did an easy run of 3:1 intervals with a few stops for dog business and picture taking. The coastal trail provides some gorgeous views, but because it's not super convenient I don't run there as often as I might. It was a successful jaunt of just under 4 miles.


After our workout, my running buddy bought me a delightful cup of coffee at a local coffee shop that was giving matching proceeds to charity that day. All in all it was a great way to start the new year with fresh air, exercise, and camaraderie.

How did you ring in the New Year? Is there a route you love to run, bike, or hike, but tend not to due to lack of convenience?

2 comments:

  1. I should consider having a pair of my older running shoes screwed for times when I need more traction out there! There are lots of running route options in Minneapolis and I get to run a lot of them when I am training in the spring/summer/fall with my club but when winter rolls around I am all about convenience, so I either run on the riverfront path (which is beautiful) or I run in Phil's neighborhood along a creek/Lake Harriet (which is also beautiful!). So I have less variety but I am lucky that my 2 convenient options are scenic!

    We rang in new years by having 2 couples over for aps. We intended to play games but got too caught up visiting so it never happened. I was in favor of recognizing the east coast new year as I had been up since 5:30 and I worked a half day (and Phil worked a full day) but we all rallied in the end and made it to midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a beautiful run! I also went for a NYD run with friends. This is the 2nd time we have done it as an "organized" group (there were 5 of us) and we have made it a bit of a tradition to summit Mt. Tamalpias, which is a mountain in Marin county, north of San Francisco. It can be done as a shorter or longer run; we did it as a medium run and then went out for hamburgers and a beer afterward!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.