Monday, March 7, 2016

Currently: March 2016

Current Netflix/TV Obsession: I haven't had much time for binge watching much of anything lately, but I've managed to sneak in all of the DVR'ed episodes of the last season of Downton over the past few weeks excepting the show's finale. I'm looking forward to seeing where the story ends even though the show declined in quality a lot after the third season. Hopefully, I can sneak in time to watch the last episode a little later this week.

Current Running Status: My past couple of long runs have not been super confidence-boosting ones. In part, I can chalk this up to the fact that I was sick, and it's a tiring time of the semester so that makes it hard to get back to 100% healthy and rested. I finally felt like I was getting my groove back on a frosty run dedicated to my friend and colleague Gretchen on Thursday. Then I took a tumble on Friday on an icy campus sidewalk which made Saturday's hilly long run something of a painfully hippy experience. Full disclosure:  20 minutes into the run I was having fantasies of just hanging out permanently at the water stop and eating gummy bears. Only my coaches and team captain and thoughts of my dear friend Lizzie to whom I dedicated the run kept me going on that one. More yoga, stretching, and foam rolling are likely in my future. 
Moving along at a decent on Thursday's run
Coach Orrin Keeping Me Going
Current Food Journaling Progress: I'm trying to get back into the habit of keeping my food journal (I fell out of it while I was sick in the middle of February). I'm not currently trying to lose weight, but it's useful information for marathon training purposes to have a log of what I'm eating and when. 

Currently Looking Forward To: Spring Break. If for nothing else than to get caught up on copy edits for my book and a little bit of a respite from the breakneck pace of this semester.  

Current Book: I'm currently reading The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. I was on the waitlist for this book forever, and I'm enjoying it so far even if I'm not as in love with it as some of the reading friends who recommended it to me seem to have been. Up next is Station Eleven for my book club and a 400th anniversary of Cervantes' death (re)reading of Don Quijote in Spanish. 

Current Drink: Coffee and copious amounts of it these days.  

Current Excitement: I'm really excited about getting to explore parts of Costa Rica on an upcoming trip! A couple of days of beach time, cave hiking, and zip lining in the cloud forest are all things on an agenda that will hopefully be equal parts restorative and adventurous!

Current Fashion Trend: I would love for it to be more practical to indulge in the current culottes and cropped pants trend. In the meantime, I'm deploying some of my older pieces to tie into the new bohemian trends that are popular right now. 

Current Love: I love playing Scrabble with my mom on the app on my phone. I love this even when she opens the game with a Bingo.

Current Food: Cheese is delicious. I've been trying some new ones from my local grocery's cheese counter lately. My favorites have been a smoked sharp cheddar and a cheese with Jamaican jerk spices. 

Current Indulgence: Writing this post instead of grading or copy editing.  

Currently Pondering: How to get everything done that I need to get done this month. It's what I like to call Academic March Madness here. I have a conference paper to write, book copy edits to finish by a deadline, an undergraduate research conference to finish planning and put on, and a symposium to help plan on top of the normal demands of teaching, grading, advising, etc. 

Current Mood: Did you have a mood ring in the 70s or 80s? If I still had mine from childhood, it might or might not be orange or yellow (because, you know, those rings were incredibly calibrated and scientific) as I've been pretty stressed and anxious here lately.

Current New Find: I was thrilled to discover that I can (seemingly easily) deposit checks to LLS through their app.

Current Outfit: I'll show you. Please forgive the low quality shot.

Current Peeve: It really bothers me when people don't show up to appointments or meetings that they have scheduled. 

Current Song: I can tell you about a song that I never cared for and am now am absolutely sick of: Coldplay's incredibly banal and not catchy "Adventures of a Lifetime." As soon as the radio starts to play it, I immediately change the station. 


Current Triumph: Successful adulting and getting some dental work that I was procrastinating from done last Friday. 


Current Wish-List: I wouldn't say no to some new jewelry or some new gloves for winter running. I'd love it if I could raise another $500 of my fundraising goal for TNT over the course of the rest of the month of March. Work-wise, I wish for the three conferences/symposia that I'm involved in over the next few weeks to be successful and intellectually stimulating  


Currently Delaying: Grading, but I can delay no longer. So adieu, dear readers! P
lease tell me what's going on currently with you. Are you procrastinating from anything? Watching or reading anything good?

7 comments:

  1. I'm mired in a hell of article and book revisions and work is beyond insane this month -- I'm basically procrastinating with everything and am jealous that you're off to Costa Rica!

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Station Eleven is an excellent book! I got bored with the actor parts, but the rest of the book was fascinating! I didn't want it to end.

    Oh my god! I have not read Don Quijote since middle School! I'm afraid that it would take me an eternity to read it now!

    I'm finishing Little Bee, and I have a few more waiting for me at the library, light reads... like How To Be Single, and Me Before You.

    Current song playing on repeat - Tragos de Amargo licor by La Santa Cecilia Featuring Enrique Bunbury.

    My fiancé is a college professor, it seems all he ever does is grade! Good luck with the grading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I forget - I love the outfit you shared!!!

    I am glad that you are feeling more confident about your runs/training but the spill on the ice sounds painful! I hope the hip pain subsides soon! I'm still not able to run so the marathon is out of the question now. I'm bummed about it but it's funny how fast your perspective can shift as right now just being able to fun 5-6 miles sounds pretty delightful.

    I'm been procrastinating on vacuuming out my car for MANY MONTHS and ironing but both will get done during my 'staycation' this week. I'm watching the new season of House of Cards which is pretty good but also sooooo messed up . And I'm really struggling to find a good read as I had to give up on the last 2 books I picked up as after reading 30% of the book, I wasn't feeling any connection or enough interest to keep going... I'm not sure what I'll read next, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked up a copy of Station Eleven when I visited Powell's Books in Portland, way back in January -- still haven't read it, but will move it to top of the pile if you're reading it as well...
    I'm so impressed that despite illness and falling on the ice, you're still getting yourself out and running -- I don't know if I could still be a runner in that climate...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the Nightingale, but it sure has had a lot of hype!! Often when that is the case, I don't enjoy it as much as everyone else did...maybe the expectations are just too high?

    I would say that I am avoiding a ton of stuff. I have a List of things to do around the house (inside and out) and each weekend I am trying to cross things off, but there are some that just keep getting shuffled to the next weekend! However, I did cross off a big one last weekend: I installed a ceiling fan in my bedroom. On the flip side, now the tub is not draining well, so I have to add a new thing to the list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Station Eleven was not my favorite, I can't really pinpoint why, it just never sucked me in. I liked The Nightingale a lot, but it took until about halfway through for me to be really invested in it.

    I just started The Plum Tree. I don't have an opinion about it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress is really cute!

    The Nightingale has been in my Amazon cart for a couple months now.

    I'm putting off my run right now by reading blogs :) But I should probably go do that...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.