Monday, March 14, 2016

Mental Health and Mountains

Lately I have been fretting a lot about how to make everything happen in the compressed amount of time that it needs to happen in. On Friday during a really stressful moment, I was driving to campus to a meeting that had suddenly popped up as a result of an issue with an event that I'm directing in a couple of weeks, and suddenly I felt a pain in my left arm. Lest I worry you, I will go ahead and tell you that it was actually my tricep being sore from yoga, but in that moment of stress I had this brief but intense fear that the pain was shooting and that I was having a cardiac event. My father died from a sudden and massive heart attack behind the wheel of his truck during an incredibly stressful time for our family in 1999. I pulled over into a parking lot and spent a couple of minutes breathing deeply and making sure that my other arm felt the same way (it did). Although there were other stressful moments in the day, I kept thinking back to that moment when I thought stress from my job might actually be killing me and reminding myself to slow down and breathe and let go of some of the worry.

I know that I am privileged to work in a field that I love. But institutions often bank on their faculty working far more than 40 hours a week. On Friday when I was driving back to campus, I had already worked close to 70 hours that week. On Sunday I had worked from 7am to 10pm with a two hour break for brunch and shopping. The rest of the week was not much better. That moment in the parking lot made me realize that I need to recommit to drawing some boundaries and to stopping letting molehills at work become mountains for me that I spend all my time trying to scale. I need to be better about saying no, asking for help, and recharging my batteries. It's hard for me because I strive to be good at my job, to give my students and my research attention, to be a good community citizen of my university. But I cannot do any of these things if I work myself sick.

Plus, I have some actual mountains to tackle. After a much-needed evening out with Mark and some dear friends for dinner and vino (at a cool bar where you can buy a card and get wine out of dispensing machines), I hit the sack in preparation for Saturday's beast of a run. My Team in Training group was running up Arctic Valley Road. Because I knew that there was a very good chance that I would try to avoid running up this cursed mountain and bail if left to my own devices, I had committed to carpooling with one of our coaches. We went a little early and set up a water stop.

I dedicated this run to my dear friend Geoffrey who has been my sponsor twice for TNT, my mentor, my co-author, and my friend.



It was a 60 minute out and about 40 minute back run. The elevation gain was approximately 2,700 feet. It was painfully slow going on the way up, and my lungs and calves were on fire almost the whole time. The last 10 or 15 minutes I had to alternate a minute of running with a minute of walking in order to keep moving forward. The way down was much better and felt like a great reward for making it up so far. Due to the ice and snow on much of the road, I wasn't making up tons of time in terms of pace, though. We'll return to this route in a few weeks, and it will be interesting to gauge our hopefully increased levels of fitness next time we go up, up, up. Hopefully, the next time I run up this mountain I'll log more than 7.8 miles.

Running friends, how do you feel about hills? What are your strategies for minimizing work-related stress?

10 comments:

  1. That's really scary and I'm glad you're okay! I also need to get better about setting some boundaries with work and need to improve the way I deal with stress. I put in 60+ hours at the office last week because it's such a busy time for us and then am working on a conference paper and book edits so wound up working about 30+ hours at home and it's just not sustainable. I'm going to try just breaking all the things into more manageable chunks and scheduling myself to do a few chunks a day but nothing more (ie., I won't go nuts and try to do it all at once!). Let's see if that works!

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with all your work! I hope things calm down for you soon!

      Delete
  2. Yikes, that sounds like a very terrifying experience. I am glad that after reflecting on it, you are coming to realize that something has to give. I can see how it is very hard for you to set boundaries when you work in a demanding field and have so much on your plate but I hope you can find ways to ask for help or say no to things so that you don't have to work at such a frantic pace for such long hours!

    I honestly kind of hate hills - especially long, never-ending ones! My club does hill workouts during the week and while I know they make me stronger, I don't enjoy them and I kind of curse my way through them. Ha. Congrats on getting through that run, though. That's some serious elevation gain, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some things are going to have to give. I'm planning on downshifting gears for a bit over the next few months once I get through this semester.

      Delete
  3. It's a tough field to work in, despite many external perceptions of the "ivory tower" -- and in some ways that makes it tougher, I think. There's traditionally been a sense that because we scholars are lucky to do what we love, we shouldn't mind doing more. . . and more. . . and more. . . even if so much of that "more" has nothing to do with what we really love. Your scare will be worthwhile if it helps you remember the true cost of trying to meet those unspoken assumptions. At least when your lungs and calves are burning from a run up the mountain, everyone sees the workload that led to it! Go you! I'm so impressed, as much by the fact that you're refusing to let the heavy workload be the top/only priority. That running belongs to You, painful as it may be. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a big part of the problem is that so much of the more has so little to do with what drew me into the profession. Another part is that a lot of it does so I have difficulty setting limits.

      My mantra for training over the next two crazy weeks will be any run is better than no run.

      Delete
  4. Oh my god! That sounds really scary! Please be careful! no job is worth risking your health! No JOB! I hope you find a balance that helps you feel better!

    I figured out a way to balance work stress, leave it at work. As soon as I cross the exit and/or the clock hits 5:00, I will not think or worry about it. I tell myself that whatever the issue is, will still be here when I return. Now, I know from experience that for working for a university, they expect a lot of the professors! I always tell my fiancé that he needs to pick a time, and stop answering emails about papers and paper redos.

    Those pictures look amazing! it looks like an amazing place to run, and like a very difficult run too!

    I don't mind hills, they are long and they are hard, but they make me stronger... not to mention sore as can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana! Leaving work at work -- or at least drawing boundaries around work time versus home time -- is a really good strategy.

      Delete
  5. Wow, 2,700 ft of gain in 60 minutes is quite a steep climb! We have one hill in this race that I have done that is like that and it's usually really hot and it is a doozy! I mean, it's endless and it feels straight up!

    For work stress, I do a couple of things. A: I run. I really think that regular exercise helps immensely! B: I TRY to get enough sleep, which almost never happens! C: I try to leave the work and come back to it the next day. I know sometimes that is impossible though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running and sleep are a powerful combination!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.