In two weeks I will toe the line at the Rock 'n' Roll Seattle Marathon. I've put in the time and logged most of the miles on my training schedule. I'm excited for race day! I'm running for the joy of running and for the opportunity to run a race in a new state and a new city. But mostly I'm running for reasons that are bigger than running itself. They are bigger than I am; bigger than ego; bigger than the wall. Thank you to Team in Training for giving me so many reasons to run in the dark, on the ice, in the wind, in the rain, under the sunny skies, around the meese for the past few months of training. Thank you, coaches and teammates, for picking me up after I got flattened by dogs on bungees and for sticking with me and convincing me I could finish whenever I thought I could not. Thank you for reminding me of the bigger picture when I lost sight of it.
![]() |
| Some members of Anchorage Summer Team - photo courtesy of one of our intrepid members |
| With my two Summer Team Coaches - photo courtesy of our Team Captain Ruth |
Mile 1: Mark, my husband and partner in crime
Mile 2: Wally, my awesome father-in-law
Mile 3: Gitta, my fabulous mother-in-law, who is a cancer survivor
Mile 4: Songho, my kind and generous colleague
Mile 5: Chris, who is witty and edgy even when being vague
Mile 6: Paul, my fearless department chair
Mile 7: Cristina, a brilliant art historian and a newer conference frolleague
Mile 8: Zeynep, a dear friend and pillar of support
Mile 9: Jen, House Ravenclaw and instigator of hair envy
Mile 10: Noam and Jen, cool cousins-in-law
Mile 11: Caroline, whose friendship got me to yoga and through dark times
Mile 12: Nan, my kind and cooky and wonderful mama
Mile 13: Ian and Eliza, kindred spirits and good friends
Mile 14: Dennis, a former student who has asked me to run in memory of his son
Mile 15: Jim, the genius sometimes known as SeƱor Queso
Mile 16: John B., who believed I could be a historian
Mile 17: Lisa, who will run again, but first has to recover
Mile 18: Geoffrey, my role model in so many things
Mile 19: John H., whose gazelle-like abilities and tirelessness I'll try to channel
Mile 20: Jodi, the best of sisters-in-law
Mile 21: David K., my big-hearted brother-in-law
Mile 22: David, my best friend
Mile 23: Bryan, my first true running partner
Mile 24: Suzie, my running bestie
Mile 25: Heather, my coach and running friend extraordinaire
Mile 26: in memory of Kris, who could make me laugh until my sides hurt
Mile 26.2: in memory of Bryant, who is the reason I'm doing Chicago*
My goals are to A) run a sub-5-hour race. I think that will depend a lot on how I physically feel on race day, the weather, etc. If I feel like it's potentially in my wheelhouse on race day, I will line up with the 4:55 pace group. B) Run a marathon PR, which means I need to finish in under 5:28:30 and C) to finish and to have fun! I want to enjoy the course, chat with other runners, listen to the bands play, and appreciate the day. I want to cherish the experience of running another marathon even when it gets hard and to feel gratitude for the people in my life to whom I've dedicated a whole lot of miles.
*Please consider sponsoring me as I train for and run the Chicago Marathon as part of Team Deere for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

Those sound like good goals! I think it is so cool that you have all your miles dedicated! I'm sure you will do great on your marathon! I can't wait to read the recap!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the vote of confidence, Ana!
DeleteI can't wait to cheer you on remotely. I feel so honored that you are dedicating a mile to me. I've always chosen a person to think about for each mile of a marathon and I think it's such a great distraction so I hope you have the same experience.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a wonderful race experience! You've put in the work, now it's time to enjoy the fruits of your labor! Well, I use the word "enjoy" loosely - I know it's going to be hard work!
Thank you for sponsoring me and for cheering me on throughout the training! I need to make my dedicated miles bracelet in the next couple of days.
Delete