A few weeks ago, one of my yoga instructors was describing the challenges many of us face in tuning out mental chatter and focusing on being in the moment. She remarked, "if you have one foot in the past and one in the future, you are pissing on the present." These words resonated with me, as someone who is prone to dwelling on the past (after all I am a historian) and sometimes not in especially constructive ways and as someone who is also prone to worrying about the future. What if? What if? What if? These past few weeks of the summer have presented me with the chance to spend more time in the present moment in my yoga studio. There are definitely still moments when I'm thinking about the past (and not just the seventeenth century) or fretting about the future (Alaska's economic outlook especially) or tuning out (wasting time on social media), but I've tried to take those words to heart and spend more time centered and aware of the now.

Through more time on my yoga mat and on the trails I've been able to physically engage my body so as to help bring my mind into flow. In some ways it's a lot easier to do this in warrior poses and in the fifth mile of an eight mile run than it is to do this when seated at my desk (or, to be more honest, on my couch) and trying to write. Sometimes I can even be absurdly prone to multitasking and tooling around on email and Facebook while watching a show I enjoy. Enough of that! Life's too short to spend so much of it pissing on the present.
 |
| I don't need to post the flowers to Facebook to appreciate them. |
Now that my summer class is winding down, I'm hoping to spend a bit more time offline in an effort to cultivate presence rather than pissing. I love Facebook and Twitter and blogs, and they absolutely do have some positive attributes (even for the act of writing), but they can also send me into a type of writing and thinking malaise in which I get stuck in a labyrinth of newsfeeds, and by the time I escape I have no mental energy or time left to be creative. So I've decided to put some new limits in place -- at least temporarily. Between the time I finish my online class this Friday (if not actually the grading for it) and the time I leave for Madrid in the middle of July, I intend to limit my connectivity to email, Facebook, and other forms of social media to just two or three 45-60 minute intervals a day. I still plan to interact with friends on social media and to read and comment on blogs, I just want to do it more mindfully.
I hope that by limiting my use of social media (and to a lesser extent to my laptop and phone more generally) to certain times of day that I'll not only have time for more yoga and running but also more time for researching and writing and novel reading during this period in which I'm off contract and have fewer demands on my time and obligations to students and colleagues. I really want to cultivate my identity as a writer and not just an academic one over the coming few months and especially in the next few weeks. I feel vulnerable and self-conscious but also excited about committing to spend more time engaged in non-academic writing. I'm giving myself a deadline of July 14 to complete a rough and gnarly first draft of a short story. It's time to stop pissing on the present because I'm worried about how long it's been since I've written in certain different modes or how rusty I am or how freaked out I am about the idea of future failure or about how poorly I might compare to others.
It's time to get comfortable with this feeling of discomfort. If I fail, I fail. At least I'll have been present.
So wonderful! I love the idea of writing in different genres. Would love to read your draft if you feel like sharing. I want to disconnect as well, though in our household TV tends to be on all the time more than social media. And I get sucked in. Before I know it, a few hours have passed. I want to institute a TV free night once a week as well as email/social media free time for myself in the morning. Good luck with your experiment.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your efforts to disconnect! For me the issue lately has been not even enjoying being sucked into tv because I'll watch while scrolling through FB on my computer of refreshing instagram and Twitter on my phone. If I'm going to do something, I should do it in such a way that I'm actually getting something out of it. :)
DeleteI'll let you know if I'm up for sharing the draft. It might have to wait until 2nd or 3rd draft stage to get me past that feeling of intense vulnerability. It's a process. I used to feel really vulnerable sharing academic work in progress too.
I love this concept. It's something I need to work on as I'm often focusing on what comes next instead of enjoying the current state I'm in. Things like being outdoors or practicing yoga definitely help, though.
ReplyDeleteWhen I gave up social media for Lent, it was so good for me as it made me realize how often I would mindlessly grab my phone and scroll through FB and IG. I haven't added FB back, except for a few days when I was gone on a trip and wanted to have the option to post photos. I have IG but I'm less likely to scroll through that as I have fewer friends on there and it's less time consuming to scroll through photos.
Good luck with your experiment of limiting your time on social media. I think it will be so good for you!
Also - happy race week!!!!!
Thank you, Lisa! I'm convinced my right buttock is out to get me right now. :D Taper brain on top of yoga yesterday is making me a bit nutty.
DeleteI thought about your Lent experiment. I like FB for connecting with family (seeing pictures of my nieces) and the ease of communication with friends who are all over the place, but the zombie-like zoning out isn't the way to make meaningful connections with them.
Raquelita, I think this is great! I applaud your dedication to disconnect with the Internet, and connect with real life.
ReplyDeleteI was listening to a report on NPR a few weeks ago, about how most people can't focus on reading a book, because there are so many electronic distractions! This and a commentary on Sunday Morning from Paula Poundstone on addiction to electronic devices, has me determined to be more disconnected and enjoy the moment! especially when I'm with my son!
Have fun in Madrid! I am so jealous!
Yes! The book thing is real. There are times when I can read for hours without interruption, but here lately it seems like I often can't read for more than a few minutes without wanting to stop and check email or FB.
Delete