Thursday, June 16, 2016

Thursday (Running) Threads: I Gotta Have the Sparkly

When I was a little kid, I was a voracious reader. One of my favorite books was Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. I also loved the movie version The Secret of NIMH. I still remember how excited I was when my family stayed in a motel room that had cable one weekend while traveling when I was around five years old, and it happened to be on so I got to see it. How little it took to make my 5-year-old self happy! While now I like to think that I have grown into a brave Mrs. F/Brisby (they changed the family name in the movie version) or a wizened Nicodemus, I am probably more like Jeremy, the proverbial comic relief. In the movie version, Jeremy, given voice by Dom DeLuise, desperately wants Mrs. Brisby to give him an amulet, saying, "Gimme the sparkly! I gotta have the sparkly!"He's less concerned with its mystical qualities and more interested in how a sparkly of his very own will help him woo the ladies.


"I just thought I'd mention in passing that I've always wanted a sparkly of my very own" is one of those lines I have repeated on numerous occasions to many a person in the past three decades. It may or may not have influenced some of my jewelry purchases throughout the years....  I murmured that line once again to myself a few weeks ago when I saw some of the skirts that our honored teammate Val was selling for a fundraiser. Admittedly, this sparkly is purple instead of red and a skirt instead of an amulet, but it definitely shares in some of the magical qualities of sparkly.

With our fabulous Team Captain Ruth
I've already worn this skirt several times on training runs. I was considering wearing it for my upcoming marathon but it doesn't breathe quite as well as some of my other running skirts do so I think I'll have to channel my sparkle power from somewhere else on race day. The sparkles might get trotted out for the expo and whatnot the day before, though.


Do you run in skirts? What are some of your favorite books and/or movies from your childhood? Do you gotta have the sparkly?

4 comments:

  1. I adored that book when I was a kid - man, I haven't thought about it in years but I must have have read that thing like 200 times as a kid.

    Courtney ~ Sartorial Sidelines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read that book to my kids and took them to the movie (predictably, I liked the book better, but the movie had its charm as well). I've tried a running skirt but not my preference although I can see that sparkly one would add a certain pizzaz -- maybe give you an extra kick! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of that book! I will have to check them out as I'm always looking for new book ideas for my nieces and nephews!

    My favorite book when I was really little was a Disney version the Sorcerer's Apprentice. My parents read it to me so much that I had it memorized and I can still vividly remember some of the illustrations.

    I think running skirts look great on other people but I don't like them on me. And I like sparkly things but don't have many sparkly things in my wardrobe for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh! that is so cute! Gotta have the Sparkly!

    That is a very cute skirt! I hope you find a comfy one, or another sparkly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.