Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Postcard from Spain: Running Madrid Rio

Greetings from Madrid, where it is hotter than blazing Hades at the moment! I arrived into a city that I love and that I once called home on Friday evening for the first stage of a research and conference trip that will take me to Toledo, Valladolid, Paris, and Bruges in addition to Madrid. After an exhausting 20ish hours of travel and a 10 hour time jump, I had just enough energy to unpack my suitcase, eat a chocolate bar (saved from my airplane dinner), and tumble into bed (carefully, as the flat I've rented for the first two weeks of my stay is an attic with slanted ceilings).

My plan was to get up early on Saturday morning and do a 40 minute run. Saturdays have been my long run days for the past several months, but this last week I did my long run on Wednesday in order to buy myself a little bit of time to acclimate to the heat before doing a run of any significant length. I admit to being incredibly relieved to not have to log 10 miles Saturday morning, as I was feeling jet lagged, and it was already sunny and warming up by 7am.

Even so, I was determined to get my training on this trip off to a good start by doing the 40 minute run that I would have done on Wednesday had I not run long. Training in Madrid is something I've been a little bit anxious about for the past several weeks. I'm signed up for Chicago and I'm running for a charity, so I don't want to be undertrained when I get to the start line. That being said, I have not had a good track record when it comes to running when I'm traveling in the summer for research. On past research trips, it has been common for me to run only once or twice a week -- sometimes even less -- and to log runs in the very short 2-3 mile range. There are both valid reasons and a category of sorry excuses for this. I'm determined to navigate the obstacles set up by the former and overcome the latter on this trip. My goal is to do at least 12 runs and 3 long runs during the first stage of my trip, which includes archival work in Madrid, Valladolid, and Toledo.

While I ate a few calories and drank some water on Saturday morning, I debated just running in Retiro Park since it is close to my flat, but I opted to head down to the awesome paved trails along the river to get my sweat on. I've enjoyed running a couple of miles there a couple of times in summers past. Saturday was like running in a toaster oven, but I was happy that I got my 40 minutes in and was only a little bit slower than I have been the past few weeks.




I ran at the river again yesterday morning. This one felt even hotter and tougher, but I got it done. I'm planning to do a number of my runs there as the path stretches 10 kilometers along the Manzanares and it only takes me about 15 minutes of walking from the door of my apartment building to get there. However, I will likely switch things up by doing some of my Madrid workouts in Retiro Park and the Casa del Campo as well. 




A few years ago I posted about how I had noticed quite a few changes in the running culture of Madrid. I'm happy to report that these trends appear to have continued. Each year it seems like there are a lot more people running than when I lived here just over a decade ago. It's nice to feel like I'm not the only slower runner or the only woman getting her sweat on in this lively city. While greeting other runners still doesn't really seem to be a thing, I did get one "hola!" from a fit fellow while he was zipping past me on the trail.

Do you run/exercise when traveling for work? When traveling for pleasure? If any of you have any route recommendations for Valladolid and/or Paris, please feel free to share them in the comments!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm very impressed! The only time I managed to run so soon after a long, long flight, was when my sister and I did our Paris trip last year. I know I'd never do that without someone else to egg me on -- especially in that crazy heat! You've got this now, and I'm sure you'll continue to put the road miles in, keeping yourself on track for Chicago. Brava! (okay, wrong country, wrong language, but you get what I'm saying! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Frances! I hope I can keep it up but will likely need some encouragement and egging on here and there. I'm usually able to sleep that first night coming from Anchorage because I usually only get a couple of hours on the flights and don't usually arrive in Madrid until 8 or 9pm from a connection in Frankfurt.

      Delete
  2. I love that you've managed to get over the voices telling you stay in bed and sleep more to actually get out and run in the blazing heat! I understand how challenging that is, especially with plane legs and jetlag.

    I do try to get out and run when I'm traveling, business or otherwise. Mostly because I think it's a great way to explore a new place. Living up here I get stuck running the same trails everyday. I love being able to see the city (or countryside) from outside of an automobile's window. It brings a greater connection to where I am and I find that I often helps with my jetlag.

    Keep on keeping on, friend!

    (Btw, it was mid-80s here yesterday and running was HOT!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plane legs.... Thank god for the compression socks that I brought along to rock with my maxi dress. :D

      I do think pushing myself out of bed early that first morning to run helped me to at least semi-calibrate to the time zone. I only felt a few hours off the first few days instead of ten.

      Happy running!

      Delete
  3. I love these photos! You look so great in the one with the river in the background! And I'm very inspired by how you're keeping up your running routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz! I hope I can keep it up more or less for the whole trip!

      Delete
  4. Good for you for getting your training off to a good start in Madrid. I can see how it would be difficult to fit training in when traveling, especially when it's so dang hot as that's tough weather to run in. When I travel for work, I would usually try to fit in a run if I was in a running-friendly city. I found that any city with water tended to be runner friendly as there is usually a water-side path. I did run in Paris along the Seine which is nice but the annoying thing is that you end up having to cross a lot of lights as some of their paths don't go under the bridges/intersections. I think there are parks with good running paths but I haven't been training for anything on my previous trips to Paris so didn't do all that much research.

    Happy training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! I was hoping you might have some advice for Paris running! The path along the Seine does look nice, but it's good to know that there are some impediments.

      Delete
  5. How cool to run in Madrid!! I hope you are having an awesome time there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana! I'm enjoying it apart from the baking in the heat part, that is....

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.