Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bailey on the Run

Have I mentioned how much I love my doggie?  She is a complete dork, but, then again, so am I.  She makes me laugh with her outrageous antics; she cheers me up when I am low, she accidentally tickles me with her chilly little nose. 
M. and I adopted her from a local shelter last August.  She had just been spayed, had kennel cough, and wasn't housebroken.  The ~ year of her life before she was left at the shelter is a mystery to us.  Allegedly, she was dumped by her owner on a friend who could not keep her, and she ended up at the shelter.  Coincidentally, we went to look at dogs a day or so after she had been brought in.  M. and I chose three dogs to spend some time with at the shelter, and she was one of them.  A beagle wasn't the kind of dog I had in mind, but she suckered me in with her sweet, brown eyes.   The shelter didn't know what her name had been before, so the dedicated staff there called her Daisy -- a name that I like well enough, but my sister already has a dog named Daisy.  I wanted to take her home right then and there, but M. and I agreed to go home, think about it some more, sleep on it, and then decide.  At the end of the next day we were back at the shelter and filling out forms.  M. picked her name.
 In some ways, she's been a challenging little booger.  Housebreaking was a bit of chore, but nothing too horrible.  Occasionally, she still has an accident in the house, but, if she does, that's almost always our fault.  The bigger issue with her has been some pretty severe separation anxiety.  We have been working with a behavioral specialist and our vet for months, and it's still tricky.   We've tried and still do try kongs, music, gradual departures, in and outs, etc.
I love her, though, and so does M.  She is the first doggie - the first pet, really - that he's ever had.  She is a goofball and the fuzziest member of our family.  And she's the first subject of M's first photo shoot with my new camera.

7 comments:

  1. I know all about the challenges! Mine are an absolute HANDFUL! But they are oh so worth it. :) They are our babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the last picture! Our beagle was a shelter dog too. It took us a full 3 years to housebreak her. We tried it all, a crate, baby gates, limited water in the evening, very strict schedules. After replacing some of the carpet with hard wood floors and installing a doggie door, I think we finally got it!! We didn't have separation anxiety with her but did with our other dog. Kongs helped him. I think it just took time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG she is adorable!!! Does she run with you?
    This spring I started taking my dogs running with me and they LOVE it. I can't even say the word "run" without them getting all excited to go out the door right that minutes. Ahhhh, furbabies... they make my heart pitter patter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Kendra, Bailey doesn't run with me. She's a scent hound, so she tries to point at, bay at, and sniff out anything that she thinks is interesting, which is pretty much everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last picture is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute little pup! She looks like she has a ton of energy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bailey is so cute! Her expressions in the photos remind me of our dog who is a mixed-breed of who knows what:) We've had her for 14 years, and she's been in great health until recently developing some concerning neurological symptoms. She's holding up well though, so I'm hoping that we have a lot more time with her :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.