I ran a little 3.15 mile run with my friend A. this morning. She was wearing a pair of shorts, and it got me thinking about my issues with them.
Due to the shape of my body, I've always had problems with chafing and riding up annoyances whenever I've attempted to run in shorts or skorts. No matter how much body glide I apply or how much I try to change my gait, I can't avoid having to uncouthly adjust my shorts every .2 miles, and usually by 2 miles the chafing becomes close to unbearable. Finally after a really bad chafing incident on a 4 mile training run with TNT last summer, I accepted that shorts and I could not be running buddies. The few pairs that I had were relegated to those days when I did strength training and a work out dvd.
I've always really loved the look of the skort in spite of the traumatic incidents I've had with shorts, and my inability to wear them has made me a little bit sad whenever I've seen really cute ones in athletic stores and even in the sportswear section of Target. I think I've finally found a solution, though. These Athleta Hitch Skirt Capris...
except they are way more than I'm willing to pay right now, especially when tax and shipping get added to the total.... However, I have a number of running capris. Now I should just buy a running skirt and wear it over a pair of them. I'm not sure why I never thought of this solution before.
Anyone else out there have similar issues with shorts and skorts? What's your most comfortable training apparel?

I love capris for running. I feel more comfortable with the coverage than I do in shorts and I don't have to worry about tripping over sloppy hems of longer pants. I still have to worry about tripping over other things though. In the winter I usually wear run tights.
ReplyDeleteThis skirt-capri combo is cute but, truth be told, I've never really understood the appeal of running in a skirt. You still have to wear shorts under it I assume, so why not just run in shorts or tights? Is it a coverage thing? Or a fashion thing? Or a bit of both?
My thighs chafe like a mofo when it gets humid. Since I live in East Texas that is pretty much always. I recently bought some spandex shorts that I have not yet worked up the courage to wear in public. Hopefully, those will solve the problem! ;)
ReplyDeleteI love those Athleta Hitch Skirt Capris:) So cute! I am with you...I do have a few skirts but they do not seem as comfy as my shorts. I also have the problem of having the short part of the skirt riding up! Grrr! I hate that! Let me know if you find something that works:) Happy Monday!
ReplyDeleteI will second Old Navy running/workout wear. It is v. cheap and hardy and comfy. Doesn't last a super long time but I wear it to death anyway and look sort of scruffy. Or hardcore, I mean hardcore.
ReplyDeleteAlso, while I'm on it, and since no one asked me, Lululemon makes some great running attire, I have both knee-length run tights and full-length run tights which seem to have lasted forever without signs of wear. Lululemon is very pricey though and I'm not sure if they are in the US (Canadian company started out with yoga wear, for which they are still primarily known). My mum always gets me a Lululemon gift card for my birthday; this is an excellent way to get excellent run gear. I recommend it.
I'm really surprised by the Old Navy recs, as most of my stuff from there falls apart really quickly.
ReplyDeleteWe do have Lululemon in the states, but yes, they are pricey. Good to know their attire lasts forever.
The skirt over capris is such a cute look for running!
ReplyDeleteChic on the Cheap
ha! i read this article recently about running in skirts--evidently they are more comfortable than shorts, etc. i have similar riding-up problems with shorts...i want to hear if you get a skirt!
ReplyDeletedefinitely get a skirt!!! If you ever played girls field hockey, wore skorts then! Much more COMFORTABLE than shorts!
ReplyDeleteI just can't do the skirt thing. Being a runner and athlete for so long it just seems wrong. But I'm also not one to bash anyone who likes the look. Whatever gets you motivated and keeps you comfy on your run is what matters.
ReplyDeleteI prefer spandex capris and a tech tshirt to run in. Although, when it gets hot I bust out shorts and a tank and for longer runs I always add body glide on the inner thighs and under the sports bra bands.