Thursday, July 1, 2010

July Writing and Running Goals

Chrissy of The New Me has just embarked on a writing challenge for the month of July, and I thought, since I have a number of projects that I need to clear off my desk, that it would be a good idea to join her in this endeavor.  So for this current month, my top priority is finishing the revisions of my dissertation so that I can deposit it before we move out of town.  Really, they need to be finished before we leave for our honeymoon in Italy.  I also have a journal article to revise and resubmit, a book review (with a deadline) to write for another journal, and two projects that are holdovers from my position as my advisor's research assistant from the spring term.  One of those is an edited edition of an early modern manuscript and that has a deadline of the end of the month.

My problem is that I've been a little burnt out and a lot unfocused since I came back from our not-very-relaxing trip last week.  So I need to just suck it up and log the hours and get this done, even though it's a holiday weekend, I need to get started this afternoon (the morning and early afternoon today have been taken up with dealing with bureaucracy and a Bailey apt).

Writing Goals
*Finish the dissertation revisions by July 8
     - 5+ hours of revisions every day until it's done, starting tomorrow
     - 3+ hours of revisions this afternoon/evening
*Finish the manuscript transcription edits by July 27
     - 1+ hour of edits a day from 7/5 to 7/8 and from 7/22-7/27
*Keep a Travel Journal while in Italy
*Send four cards or postcards, because really who doesn't love receiving a card?

(I loved getting this sweet card from my friend J.)

Since I'll be traveling and moving this month, I think it's important to be realistic about my running and fitness goals for the month.  I'm going to shoot for 65 miles in July and four yoga classes.  I'm going to try to run 3-4 times while I'm in Italy, probably mainly in Sienna and Florence.

What's your July looking like?  Do you have any holiday or travel plans?  Any writing or running goals that you'll be working toward?

6 comments:

  1. I think that it is great that you are taking on all of these writing goals:) I really wish that I had more time but my life is so freaking crazy. I am finding it hard to keep up with all of the wonderful blogs out there. I would love for you to keep a journal of your time in Italy...share a little of your experiences in your blog:) My hubby and I are hoping to go there for our 20th wedding anniversary next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julie! I'll do my best with them. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that you and your hubby can celebrate your anniversary in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your goals rock! I'm really impressed - 5+ hours of writing a day?! That sounds amazing, as does running in Italy. Last summer I went to a conference in Chicago and ran on the Lakefront path each morning. It was my first time running away from home and it was the first time I felt like a runner. Now, I think of traveling as a chance to cover some new ground, literally and figuratively.

    Great post! So glad you're joining the July challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!

    Oh, how I would love to run in Italy! :) Lucky you, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's smart and brave of you to post your writing goals here. They seem hard core but achievable. But as your running goals demonstrate, you ARE hard core.

    I've only just managed to make myself write mine down and schedule them into the calendar. Telling others seems like too great a leap just yet. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. You rock, Planny McPlannerson. It's so smart of you to write things down and quantify time in this way. It's something I have yet to learn to stick with. Good luck with the revisions and the writing and enjoy the reward of your Italian honeymoon. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.