Friday, July 30, 2010

On the Other Side

After an epic adventure of loading an ABF truck with the help of two awesome co-blogging friends, some frantic and haphazard cleaning, and two days of driving in an extremely cramped car with a slightly overwrought beagle, we arrived at our new home.  We won't have any furniture (aside from two chairs, an air mattress, and a bed frame but no mattress) until early next week when the rest of our new furniture and our moving truck arrive.  Right now there's not much to unpack or to do except make repeated trips to Target for things that we keep realizing we don't have.  You know, things like trash cans and soap and contact paper....

For as cramped as our car was, it doesn't seem like much was in it.  I guess Bailey's crate and bed, our two suitcases, a few random boxes and canvas bags, and our computers and cameras really filled up our Mazda.  I had to ride with my knees against the dash and a bag of dog treats and my purse under my feet.  I wanted to take some pictures, but I couldn't get to either of my cameras because of their location wedged under numerous other things. 

Even though it added to the space problem in the car, I'm glad that we also brought champagne flutes and a bottle of cava left over from our wedding back in January with us.  (You may be able to see that I wrote car on the bottle of cava just so I wouldn't accidentally give it away or pack it in a box going on the truck.)

We unpacked the flutes and cracked the cava open and had it with take out from Panera.  Then we unpacked what we could and hit the air mattress early.  An exhausting week and the Central Time Zone had us feeling like we had just ran a marathon. 

I got up early and ran 1.5 miles around the neighborhood.  After a shower, breakfast, and some vacuuming, I went to Target (again) to get some items for the bathrooms and a couple of chairs for our deck.  I also went to a furniture store to pick out a new entertainment center and a desk.  Both were on clearance, and I'm really excited about the desk.  I'm hoping to get some good writing done on it once it arrives next week. 

How has your week been?  Is Target getting all your money?

9 comments:

  1. Ha, ha--Target always gets my money! I think it's great that you brought your wedding champagne along--very fitting. Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very impressed with your forethought for the champagne AND flutes. Classy! Hope the moving in is less stressful than the moving out and I'm glad to hear you arrived safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's too sweet. And I'm actually MORE impressed that ya all held out on opening that CAVA til' now. bravo! That would've been gone in a heart beat over here.

    Congrats on your new abode

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new blog! I stopped at Target recently (the one I discovered nearer than Columbus) to buy a Shabby Chic quilt that was marked down from $90 to $65. Looks like you have a nice place. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Columbus already seems a little more gray without you around! I took my first trip to Rag-O-Rama yesterday - do you love or hate?
    Good luck with the rest of the transition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @AM, we're more red wine drinkers than champagne drinkers. Thus, a couple of bottles managed to remain unimbibed during the last six months.

    @Scuttleboose, I like RoR, but like all thrift stores it can be hit or miss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember spending all my money at Target with you in Norman! :) Hope you guys settle into your place ok. That part of the midwest can be kinda... different :). But it's pretty exciting that your starting your career! I'm pretty jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on making it to your destination! Hope the settling in is much easier (and more fun) than the move itself :)

    Ugh, I try to just stay out of Target since every time I go there for "one little thing" I seem to leave having spent no less than $200! I think simply entering the store puts one in a hypnotic trance or something, with a little voice saying "buy, buy, buy" - haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. good points and the details are more precise than elsewhere, thanks.

    - Joe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.