Monday, August 23, 2010

On the Table: Chicken and Summer Squash in Lemon-Basil Cream Sauce

Dinner the other night consisted of a number of things we had in our fridge from the previous week's farmers' market: yellow summer squash, lemon-basil, yellow beans, and sweet summer corn.  I adapted the recipe from a lemon-chive chicken dish that Anne of The Shepwell Kitchen posted recently.

First I cooked two free-range, organic boneless chicken breasts on medium heat (my stove tends to heat pretty zealously so medium-high heat might work better for you) in a bit of olive oil.  When it was 2/3 of the way cooked (about 7-8 minutes), I added some slices of summer squash.
As the chicken was cooking, I prepared the lemon-basil cream sauce.  In a bowl I combined:
4 Tbsp of Sour Cream
4 Tbsp of Organic Chicken Broth
3 Tbsp of Lemon Juice
1 tsp of crushed red pepper
a shake of salt
1 Tbsp of flour
1.5 Tbsp of Parmesan Cheese
4 Tbsp of Basil finely chopped







I also popped my mostly shucked corn into the microwave to cook for two minutes per ear and began gently boiling my yellow beans.
When the chicken was fully cooked, I added the sauce to the pan and reduced the heat to low.  I cooked it for another 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  I also attended to the yellow beans. 
M. and I decided to pair our meal with a bottle of Chianti.  Our corn on the cob didn't fit on our plates, so we had it as our second course.  :)
Sorry to show you a photo of partially eaten food, but I was so hungry that I couldn't wait!

Have you been taking advantage of farmers' markets in your area this summer?  What are your favorite things to buy at them?

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks great! I love the addition of basil and red pepper flakes to the sauce, and I bet the fresh squash was good too.

    I haven't been to my farmer's market as much as I'd love, but I do love having fresh veggies and herbs to work with all summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I have never tried yellow beans, but they look great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic! I'm definitely going to make it soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that looks tasty! Fellow 'Distance Dreamer' stopping by to follow your blog. Came for the running, but now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks Yummy....my hubby did ribs on the bbq this weekend with corn also....~Some Good Eats ~thanks for sharing ~Love Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's it! I am coming over:) Dinner looks wonderful! It has been some time since I have cooked a real nice dinner like that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at lemon basil cream sauce. This looks awesome! I like to purchase fruits and veggies from Farmer's markets, but my fave purchases are often pies :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.