Sunday, August 22, 2010

Weekly +/- IX

In the - column:

- I spent a good portion of the week in orientation sessions for new faculty.  It was great to meet new people and start to learn the lay of the land, but I think the number of sessions was on the excessive side.  My biggest complaint is that all these sessions interrupted my training and my work schedule, causing me to get even more behind on my profesh/writing goals for the month....

- M. and I took a long hard look at our budget and depleted savings and realized that we are going to have to be extremely frugal -- atleast for the next few months.  The move ended up costing us about twice as much as we had anticipated when all was said and done.   Also there were unexpected costs this summer, such as having to replace my treadmill (which is something I see as eventually more than paying for itself, but right now is kinda painful) and having to get a new compressor put in our car because the a/c went out back in June.  So I'm probably going to have to go on a shopping ban again....

In the + column:
 + Riding my bike to campus makes me fantastically happy.  Riding it home is even more fun because I get to fly down a pretty steep hill.

+ I'm starting to actually feel somewhat settled into my faculty position here.  I have my committee work for the year sorted out, my schedule for the spring is closer to being hammered out, and I'm starting to get some things into my office.

+ In spite of the scheduling struggles this week has presented, I was able to log almost all the miles I should have this week to stay on track with my marathon training.  My new treadmill arrived on Wednesday, and I got my long run in this morning.  Plus, I was able to check out two new-to-me trails.

+ I'm starting to have a social life here!  I went running with a couple of women at a group run on Monday.  A new friend that I've made in a different department and I went clothes shopping and to the Farmers' Market together this week.  A friend of mine from my PhD program lives just a few miles down the road.  He was gone all summer, but is finally back and we were able to get together with him on Friday.   We met up with him, one of his friends, and one of my new friends for drinks and dinner.  It was a lot of fun, and I think we're going to try to get together and go out again soon. 

How has your week been?  What have you been up to this weekend?  Any races?  Any great training runs?

8 comments:

  1. Moving always costs more than expected. It seems like there's an endless list of 'stuff' to get settled into the new place - hope a little time of cutting back will replenish your savings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to hear you're making some friends, especially ones you can run with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are still recovering from our recent move to California...and especially with repairs that needed to be done to our house...and then like you things that have went sour with the car....and then of course sick dogs....ahahahah and the list goes on....It is encouraging to hear you talk about making friends I am having a really hard time making friends since we moved, Being a stay at home Mom and living out in the country have made it almost impossible....But I am hopeful that sometime in my future I will meet a kindred spirit to go and get some coffee with...And Happy to hear of your friendships!! Good Luck with your training this week I know with all 3 of my children starting school this week I am curious to see how that will effect my workout schedule as well...Okay enough of my comment novel here lol....~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're settling into academic life and getting a good social network going! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you did a great job finding a balance with it all. I so admire you all who work full time, train, BLOG, and manage to do it all. nice ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are settling in quite quickly, in all aspects of your life. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so good to hear that you found a few new friends to hang out with! Bonus...they run:) I know how hard it is fitting it all in with a crazy and hectic schedule. You will figure it all out:) I love that you can ride your bike to work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the scariest thing about moving is that it almost always costs twice as much as you plan. Right now, I'm getting ready for a friend's wedding half way across the country, which is eating up way too much of my money. I also feel a shopping ban coming on!

    Congrats on the running group and settling in to your new position! Sounds like it's going to be a great semester.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.