About this time last year I was training for my first marathon, and it was a mighty struggle. On most of the long runs and on some of the shorter mid-week runs, demons and doubt stalked me. I probably lost about as much fluid crying on some of my long runs as I did sweating on them last September.
It took me a really long time and the help of running friends to conquer a 10-miler last summer. For three weeks I looked at that distance on my training schedule, went out to run it, and gave up around mile 7.5. I got behind on my training plan, but two marathon running friends offered to run with me at my pace so that I could get past that hurdle.
There were many times that I wanted to give up entirely, but I was running the marathon for TNT and I had so many friends and colleagues who were sponsoring me. I didn't want to have to admit to them that I was a quitter. Even so, I struggled to run more than 6 to 8 miles during the week when I should have been running about 15 to 20. I skipped at least three of my long runs. I went into my marathon more anxious than excited. I completed it, but I definitely could have been better prepared than I was and I probably would have had a more enjoyable experience if I had logged more of those miles in training.
So far in this training cycle (knock on wood!), the demons haven't been plaguing me in the same way. Certainly, I'm not having an easy time with every run, but there's something about knowing that I've run 26.2 miles before that takes the edge off the anxiety. I know I can complete 10 miles and 13 miles and even that 20 miler now. Last time all of those numbers seemed so daunting. I'm also finding it easier to fit at least most of the miles that I should into Monday - Friday.
I'm also doing a better job this time around of doing cross training and core work. I've been commuting by cycle at least twice a week and doing core work 3 times a week. Yoga has been sporadic, but I am still practicing some. I didn't at all last summer and fall.
Yet, not all the differences are necessarily positive ones. While I've been mentally lighter so far in this training cycle, I'm actually physically heavier than I was last time. I weigh 8-10 pounds more than I did last summer and fall (thanks, dissertation!), and I am pretty sure that has impacted my average pace, which is about 30s/mile slower than it was last year for long runs and for the shorter runs in which I do make an attempt to run a bit faster - though it cannot be said that I have been doing any real speed work, but I didn't do any last time either.
For those of you who have run multiple marathons or half-marathons, what differences have you noticed in your various training cycles?
I love the last line of your first paragraph. That is exactly how it was for me too! And good job with the cross training and core work! Cheers!
ReplyDeleteI've been bad about cross training while marathon training, so I'm sure that's why my hammy is acting up.
ReplyDeleteGreat post I love your thoughts and comparisons on your training. That is amazing all those miles. I have asthma and really struggle with anything so cardio as running...but I am thankful I have found weights and other exercises I really enjoy doing to stay in shape. Good Job I am rooting for ya ~Heather
ReplyDeleteon my run yesterday, I was just thinking how much cycling helps my running. and i haven't biked for ~1 mo, and I can tell w/my run. So big kudos to you for cycling! it's going to only help your running!
ReplyDeleteI notice that each training cycle is different for me. Sometimes I weigh a few lbs more or less, I always seem to have some different kind of injury I'm working on healing, sometimes I'm more stuck to my plan and sometimes I deviate quite a bit. It's all part of the process. This time I'm doing a good job of cross training and not running my body down by doing unnecessary mileage. Hope the rest of the long runs go well!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on accomplishing the first marathon - I'm sure you'll do many more if that's your goal! I admire anyone who runs, but I just can't do it! I do enjoy biking (except for the hills!), so I'll stick with that :) This sounds ridiculous, but I'm going to take up hula-hooping. It's actually kind of fun, and I never realized how much of a workout can be incorporated!
ReplyDeleteConfidence is the biggest difference this time around. I know I can finish a marathon, and having that mental block lifted is making things a lot easier! I am a little worried about my mileage though - I've only been running three days a week, about 20 miles a week, and I know I need to either add more cardio with another running day or with cross training. It's just hard to fit it all in!
ReplyDeleteYes! I was so stressed out training for my first marathon. I followed my schedule no exceptions. For my next marathon, I was so much more relxed and really enjoyed my training. If I had to cut a run short, no biggie. I ran more with friends and enjoyed the process. Now I know I can do it and a few miles here or there (or switching a day) won't make the difference in finishing!
ReplyDelete