Thursday, October 21, 2010

D'oh!

For some unknown reason, when I looked at the date of my half-marathon months ago, I assumed it was on a Sunday.  Last night I realized that my race is on Saturday not on Sunday!  I'm glad that I realized on Wednesday night instead of Friday night or on Saturday as the race takes place. 

That last scenario would have been much worse than that time I ran the Virginia Beach half-marathon with a good friend of mine.  He had looked at the schedule, and I assumed he knew the correct start time information....  Well, as it turned out, he was off by half an hour on the start time.  As we were walking up to the start, I kept thinking that the race was really shockingly poorly attended.  My friend and I separated so that I could find my pace group, which had long since left.  I stood there for a minute or so, chatting with my spouse, who had come to the start line to cheer us on.  Eventually, I heard a few people yelling go, so I decided I would go.  I crossed the starting line 20 minutes after the race had officially started, and about ten minutes after that my friend was the last person to cross it (he had gone off and done a warm up). 
After we had both finished (he sprinted past me between the mile 1 and mile 2 marker), I complained that we must have been given inaccurate information.  My friend then admitted that he had somehow gotten it in his head that the start time was 7:30 instead of 7.  

So I guess the moral of the story here is to look closely at the race schedule and double and triple check it.  Oh, and to look at it yourself. 

6 comments:

  1. So true! I almost did the same thing with the TC marathon. Most races are on Saturdays....I just happen to be looking at my monthy schedule and was like....oh crap, I run on Sunday not Saturday:) Good catch! Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely something best figured out on wed instead of friday...or worse, on SATURDAY

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a fanatic about being on time, being late or forgetting the right time is my biggest worry. I once missed a local 5K I had paid for by an hour... at least it was for charity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Thanks for sharing this story. I'm neurotic when it comes to getting to things at time and checking and rechecking starting times, flight numbers, phone numbers, whether I have my credit card and license on me. And half the time, I STILL get it wrong! Glad you got to race anyway, and extra glad you realized the date of the race beforehand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thing you checked. I'm super anal about checking every detail. Of course, that's because I've done the same thing before by overlooking details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg! I so have that fear about races. AND yah...i have a half next weekend too, but on SAT as well (vs the usual Sunday) I guess b/c it's Halloween? I dunno...

    anyways glad you got the right date!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.