Monday, October 25, 2010

On the Table: Cilantro Peanut Pesto

The night before a race, I usually eat pasta.  But since M. and I had eaten Italian already several nights this week, I thought that I might try a different spin on pesto.  I decided to use lo mein noodles and to make a sort of Asian-Mexican inspired pesto, using peanuts, cilantro, chili oil, and cheddar.

For the pesto I used:

1/4 red onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 cup of peanuts
1.5 Tbsp chili oil
1/4 cup of olive oil
a lot of cilantro
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

I blended the ingredients in my food processor until they were the desired consistency, boiled the lo mein noodles according to the package instructions, and mixed together.  Next time I think I'll add a bit of lime juice to this pesto, but I was pleased with how my experiment turned out.  Served with roasted cauliflower and followed by some Ben & Jerry's, it made a great pre-race meal.

What are your favorite pre-race meals?

4 comments:

  1. This sounds SO good! I think I'll make it this weekend--my guy loves cilantro, and his mom just gave him her old Cuisinart (she wanted a new one), so whipping up a batch of this should be super quick! Good tip on the lime juice; I can imagine that would give it a little zing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to branch out more in terms of pesto. I love anything with cilantro in it, and this sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love cilantro--never thought to make a pesto with cilantro.

    I treat myself to a carbo load the night before the night before (2 nights, that is) a race. I've read that carbo loading the very night before a race isn't as effective as builing up stores in the days leading up to a race. Sounds like you were carbo loading exactly as you should be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to have to try that! I love cilantro, it has such a great flavor. I wonder what other things we could put it in.

    One of my co-workers used to live in Mankato and was there last weekend! He said he had fun watching the runners:) I guess he knows the guy who took 4th or 5th place.

    Happy Wednesday:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.