Pre-Race
After a yummy dinner of Asian-Mexican fusion pesto with noodles (recipe forthcoming), lots of water, organizing my race-day attire and extras, and a decent night's sleep, I woke up bright and early yesterday morning to run my third half-marathon. I ate a couple of pieces of toast and downed a couple of glasses of water. M. and I drove to the MNSU campus and parked near the start line. The race was due to start at 8am, and we arrived around 7:20. I drank some more water and then went to stand in line to use the biffy. I ran into a friend from my women's running club and her kids, who were there to cheer on her husband, who was running the full marathon. We chatted for a bit. Then I positioned myself on the edge between the 2:20 and 2:30 pace groups and chatted with my hubs for a few more minutes. It started raining lightly, and I hoped that it wouldn't get worse.
Miles 0-2.25
Because all three events (marathon, half, and 10k) were starting from the same place at the same time, there was a big crush of 2,000 bodies and it didn't seem worth it to try to press up to the 2:20 pace group until the race started. I think the MC's mic wasn't functioning properly because I never heard any pre-race announcements or any sort of starting gun. Eventually, people in front of me started moving forward, so I turned my Garmin on and was off. I soon caught up to the 2:20 pace group and was feeling good aside from the fact that I already really needed to pee again. The rain let up, and the conditions were great for running: cool and cloudy with almost no wind. The 10k group branched off, and then those of us doing the half took a turn a couple of miles into the course. I ran with the pace group until the first aid station, which was somewhere around mile 2.25. I stopped to wait in line to use a biffy, and I never saw my pace group again....
My pace was steady at about 10:40.
Miles 2.25-7
I don't know why I didn't realize that so much of this race would be on the trails rather than on the roads. From mile 3 until about mile 7 there were few spectators and there was a lot of passing and being passed by the same few people over and over again on the trails. I walked up most of the hills, but was running pretty steady aside from that. I ditched my "arm warmers" around mile 5. The distance between water stops was the biggest problem for me. I was sooo thirsty. I usually run with my Camelbak for runs longer than 5 or 6 miles, and I usually take a sip or two every 1/2 mile or so. Only drinking every 2-2.5 miles was a bit of a problem for me. I was feeling really dehydrated yet sloggy at the same time. I was also getting really bored. I had a couple of conversations, but for the most part I was running solita. I dug out my ipod around mile 7 to take my mind off of how thirsty and uninspired I was feeling.
My pace varied. I lost a few minutes in the biffy, but was still running about 10:40-10:50 until mile 6, when I slowed down considerably to a 12 min/mile.
Mile 7-9
We were on a trail that I run almost every week. I felt good and a little less bored because there were many more spectators along this section of the trail. I got a number of a high fives from little kids and that totally boosted my energy. Also this part of the trail is infinitely more scenic and was relatively flat. There was even a chance to shoot some baskets with the water cups! The volunteers from here until the finish were especially fantastic. I saw a couple of them riding the opposite way on the trail, giving encouragement to runners as they passed. I ran into a university colleague, who was running her second half, and chatted with her for a couple of minutes.
Here, too my pace was very inconsistent, ranging from 10 min/mile to a 12 min/mile
Miles 9-12
I was hoping by mile 9 that I could still finish in under 2:30 even if I wouldn't meet my 2:20 goal. But around mile 10 I had to stop to use the biffy again and that and the last set of hills just sucked up too much time. I saw a team of medics tending to a runner on the side of the trail. She was on a stretcher, and I prayed that she would be ok. From mile 10 on, I did a lot more walking than I would have liked. I had a stitch in my side that I couldn't shake, and I was so thirsty. There were only a few runners in my field of vision, and they were all alternating running and walking. Energy seemed to be really low for everyone. At one point, I must have been grimacing because a volunteer asked if I was okay. I smiled at her and said that I was and started running again.
Pace was erratic and I forgot to record a lap at one of the mile markers.
Miles 12-13.1
Finally, I was off the trail and on the streets! I still walked a little bit at a couple of points here, but I was feeling better and the end was in metaphorical sight. I kicked up the speed for the last quarter mile and finished strong. But I forgot to smile. M. hadn't remembered to replace the batteries in his camera, so he didn't capture my finish anyway. The race clock said 2:36 and some change. My Garmin read 2:35:57.
Post-Race
I grabbed a cup of water and some kettle corn. I decided to skip the bananas. Unfortunately, I forgot to return my chip, so I can't get my official time until I mail that sucker in. M. met me just past the finish with my hoodie and a hug. I was pretty disappointed in my time, but, as any kind and supportive spouse would, he told me that I had done great. We stopped by the Farmers' Market on the way home and picked up a few goodies for the week. Then M. made me eggs and special pancakes for brunch. I washed them down with coffee and a TON of water!
Racing Reflections
All in all -- though this is mostly a reflection on my performance rather than on the event itself -- I have to say that this was not my favorite racing experience. While the course definitely wasn't the most interesting I've been on and I wanted more of a party before, during, and after the race, my performance can't really be blamed on that. I'm disappointed by how much I struggled in this half-marathon, especially considering that I'm running a full marathon in three weeks. I wasn't in the zone mentally or physically. I went into this race without being mentally prepared and without reading the race information carefully. First, I didn't have the right day. Then, I failed to realize that much of this race would be on the trails. I'm disappointed in my time and but even more so in my lack of self-discipline. I should have forced myself to continue to run and to push through the wall. But I don't want to beat myself up too much. I was so sick on Tuesday that I could barely move, and on Saturday I ran 13.1 miles. My primary goal was to finish this half-marathon, and I did that. That said, after my upcoming marathon is over and I've had some recovery time, I think it's time to start getting serious about running faster.
Was anyone else racing this weekend? What events do you have coming up on your calendars?
Great Race Report. I ran too, and hit the wall after the mile 8 hill. My favorite part was the transition from running along the road to running in the trees during mile 7. Then I hit the hill at mile 8 and from that point on it was a struggle.
ReplyDeleteI was sick this week too, and think that had a major role on hitting the wall. Good luck in your marathon, I think this race will be a great experience that you can learn from and then have a better marathon.
Yay - congratulations on finishing the half and pushing through!
ReplyDeleteWell done.
ReplyDeleteThink of it as a training run for your marathon.
Cute pancakes!
Congrats on finishing!! Even though you weren't happy with your performance you got out there and pushed through! Great job! And I love the pancakes :o)
ReplyDeleteThe important thing is that you finished a half marathon! There's always a next time to improve. Good work! Love that 13 pancake duo.
ReplyDeleteGreat job!! Even if it didn't feel like your best, you did it. Keep it up only a few more weeks before that full! :)
ReplyDeleteI had a half Mary throw me a curve once too by taking us off asphalt and into a technical. You managed to grind it out and did it in great time!
ReplyDeleteGreat race recap!
New follower, found you from another running blog. :)
*technical trail. :)
ReplyDeleteGreat report and great job! It sounds like it was tougher than you thought it was going to be due to the trail and lack of spectators and I understand how that can be! Love the pancakes!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your race! Given that you weren't feeling well and weren't fully mentally prepared, I'm sure that had some sort of effect on you. But despite that you still finished.
ReplyDeleteLove the pancakes!
Funny that you mentioned getting faster. I'm working on a post about that very subject.
Great recap and great race! Even though you didn't hit your goal, it sounds like you pushed through and made it to the end, and that's the most important part! You also learned some important things about mentally preparing yourself, so you'll be in even better shape for San Antonio. Also, those pancakes are amazing! So adorable!
ReplyDeleteConsidering the demands of your new job, I find it completely amazing that you stuck to your training schedule as much as you did--with flooded trails and illness and all of those needy students in the midst of the training. It's always disappointing not to do as well as you'd hoped for, but sometimes our bodies (and brains) don't let us push through the wall because that would in the end be bad for us. There's a certain amount of trust that you did do what you could at this particular point in time; just think if you'd pushed through and then injured yourself and had to cancel on the full marathon in TX. You never know. It's always a learning experience. And you got some great pancakes in the end. :)
ReplyDeleteMaybe next year we can run it together! In the meantime, we could do speedwork...blech.
Thanks so much for you kind words, everyone!
ReplyDelete@Suzanne, we could do speedwork on the indoor track once a week when the weather turns to crap.... You are naturally faster than I am so I don't know if it would be as much of a challenge for you, but I need to force myself to do it!
I am still very proud of you for getting out there and running regularly. Considering all your commitments and responsibilities this takes major discipline and I think that is AWESOME!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on finishing! If you want a more interesting course, you should run the Chicago marathon sometime - it goes all over some of the most interesting neighborhoods of the city and there's seriously no point on the course where there aren't people cheering you on. Even our half marathons (which we seem to have a ton of) at least have plenty of visual stimuli :)
ReplyDeleteGreat job! You still rocked it. I can't believe you were sick during the week and were still able to race well. Also, I love the fact that there is a little basketball hoop to shoot the cups in. Too funny!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the half marathon!! That's an awesome feat!
ReplyDeleteI just added my next half marathon in April out here in Cali. Its probably my favorite distance...perhaps tied with a 10k. I've also decided to run a short 5k while I'm home in Minnesota over the holidays!
Thanks :)
ReplyDelete--
http://www.miriadafilms.ru/ купить фильмы
для сайта historianontherun.blogspot.com