Monday, January 31, 2011

January in Review

Because I anticipated that January would be a hectic month, I tried to set reasonable goals.  My month was even more hectic than I thought it would be, so, although I did pretty well with my goals, I still didn't achieve all that I hoped to in the first month of 2011.

My fitness goals were:
- Practice yoga at least once while in Boston for my conference - I did this.
- Begin 21 day yoga challenge - Since January 10th, I've been practicing yoga an average of four times a week.  Yes, I realize that's not 21 consecutive days of yoga, but I'm okay with that.  While physical asana isn't part of my daily routine, it's becoming part of my regular weekly rhythm, even during an extremely busy time.
- Run 60 miles in January - As of this morning, I accomplished this goal.  I ran 60.5 miles in the month of January.
- Maintain food journal - I have done a less stellar job with this goal. I've maintained my food journal most days, but there was a period of four or five days where I didn't keep track at all.

My writing goals were:
- Finish the transcription of the edited primary source - This really is the project that will not end.  My co-editor and I requested approval of the formatting for the transcription from the publisher before proceeding further.  We still haven't heard anything, so it still remains only 1/3 of the way done.
- Make some inquiries with presses for my book manuscript - I did this.  I've been writing a couple of research talks related to this project, and am starting to outline my book proposal.

How did you do with your goals for the month of January?  If you set resolutions or goals for 2011, how are they coming along?

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed. I have been so busy I haven't had time to make monthly goals, which ends up being self-defeating, in a way. I asked for 3 different preps this semester so I could get them done and file them away for the future, but I now understand why it is so difficult to teach 3 different classes with 2 new preps and get research done. And I just had a co-author bail on a conference paper to be presented at the end of March, yikes! I seriously thought there would be a nice time lag after the big D, boy was I wrong. It's more like "game up" now. I'm curious if you feel the same way...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.