In the - column this week:
- I talked to my mom yesterday, and she's been having a lot of difficulties with her lower back. She's had ongoing problems, and last year spent a lot of time working with a physical therapist. She says that this is even worse. It's on the other side and was so painful that she drove herself to the ER the other night and can't walk up stairs without tremendous pain/difficulty. She's meeting with a specialist on Tuesday, but she thinks it's pretty likely that it's a ruptured disc and that she'll have to undergo surgery. I'm especially worried because I'm so far away and don't know how much I'll be able to help her/be with her after the surgery if she does have it.
- I have felt disorganized all week. I always feel a little off my game after coming back from a conference, and this time it was compounded by arriving home the day before the start of the semester. On top of that, I've had a bit of a cold, and have just been feeling tired and somewhat out of sorts since Monday.
- My running buddy, S., and I were planning to train together on Thursday afternoons/evenings this next few months, but because of my Bailey's doggy daycare schedule and the fact that I have to pick up my spouse after he finishes teaching his class, we're not going to be able to do Thursdays.
In the + column:
+ In spite of feeling disorganized, I love the start of a new term! It always brings with it such promise for productivity, as well as opportunities to get to know new groups of students and to teach in the field I'm passionate about.
+ I've been doing lots of yoga this past week. It feels good to be reintegrating a regular practice into my routine.
+ Bailey has been adjusting well to going to doggy day care a couple of times a week. Because of her separation anxiety and because M. is adjuncting a couple of courses this semester, we had to find a solution. So far this seems to be going well, and it's good for her to get to play with other doggies for a few hours a couple times a week.
+ I've been in touch with a friend of mine about the possibility of organizing a panel for a conference in October. We're still working out the details, but it looks like we're going to be able to put something together that will hopefully get accepted.
How has your week been? I hope that its pluses have outweighed its minuses!

Hoping everything with your mother sorts itself out, so sorry to hear about it :(
ReplyDeleteYay for yoga, I'm trying to do it 3-4 times a week as well, along with meditation. But I can only hold my mind still for about 3 seconds, ha!
I always mean to do more yoga, which means doing it at all for me, but never seem to fit it in. Awesome that you have been able to do it more often!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad Bailey gets to go to doggie daycare, and that he's enjoying it! I hope your mom gets the help she needs and that whatever is bothering her back is easy to fix.
ReplyDelete