![]() |
| Source |
I've been wanting a Kindle for months! First downloads: The Complete Works of L.M. Montgomery, Gargantua and Pantagruel, Don Quixote, and The Decameron.
I'm at my mom's house in Louisiana for the week. The good news is that she finally had a follow up appointment with a specialist and he believes that surgery can be avoided. The plan is to treat her lower back problems with a series of injections over the next couple of months. In the meantime, though, she's still in pain and is not supposed to lift much of anything, and I thought that since I'm on "spring break" I could help her out around the house. My plan is to do a bit of cleaning, get some work done on a publication project, and grade a mountain of midterms while my mom is at work during the day. Then I'll make dinner and we can hang out together in the evenings.
But with the light on my kindle cover I may have come up against an unanticipated snag: the temptation to continue reading late into the night while bundled up in bed. Between my mom catching me doing that last night and the fact that I'm reading Anne of Green Gables, I feel like I'm about 10 years old again....
Do you have a Kindle? What are you currently reading for pleasure?

Oooh. I want to hear how you like it. I am back and forth on these devices as I am such a book lover but for travel they seem like such a wonderful idea, and probably a lot lighter than some of the hardcover novels I have read.
ReplyDeleteCheers!
Soooo fun! I don't have one (yet), but if I actually keep reading some books, I may treat myself to one down the road.
ReplyDeleteI just have too many actual books on the shelf I need to finish first. Then I'll treat myself.
Happy Early Birthday!!
Great choice with the works of L.M. Montgomery! I could read those books again and again and probably not get tired of them.
ReplyDeleteAnd glad to hear things are looking better for your mom! I hope the injections help with her pain. It's cool of you to spend the week with her, I'm sure she really appreciates it.
Oh, now I want to reread Anne of Green Gables!
ReplyDeleteI have a Nook and I LOVE it. Right now I'm reading The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. It's amazing!
No Kindle for me, but I often spend the night bundled in bed enjoying a good book, with a mug of steaming tea. So cliche, but a perfect way to spend a cold night.
ReplyDeleteI love my Kindle - it's so perfect for research trips!
ReplyDeletexoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com
What an exciting new gift! I don't have one yet, but I've been coveting one for months (it'll make it easier to slug around my favorite reads).
ReplyDeleteJust got one for Christmas and I LOVE it! And yes, I have been occasionally reading too late into the night b/c of that great light!
ReplyDeleteI don't have one, but I can relate to the snuggling in bed reading!! Hope your mom starts to feel better soon.
ReplyDeleteGood news on your mom! I have a nook and it's my bff. I use it daily for past year + great space saver in my tiny place too.
ReplyDeleteI use the Kindle app on my I pad, and I think it's fantastic. I love being able to get new books without getting off the couch.
ReplyDeleteWe LOVE our Kindle. Everything from Bill Bryson to Granny D to Aristotle
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your Kindle (and happy birthday a bit early)! I've always enjoyed reading and never thought I'd like to read on an eReader since I love the actual feel of books. However, I got a Kindle last Christmas and I absolutely LOVE it! I've put all sorts of things on it so far, from PDF files that are work-related, to web content (just in case you didn't already know, there's a "send to Kindle" app for the Google Chrome browser that will grab html content and send it straight to your Kindle so you can read web articles, etc. - it's great!). As others have said, the Kindle is just so much more convenient to carry with you everywhere.
ReplyDeleteThere are also many blogs that keep a running list of free ebooks - this is one that I like due to ease of use (just put it in your RSS feed and check daily):
http://www.ereaderiq.com/free/
I've gotten a lot of the classics free through Amazon, Project Gutenberg, but the blogs also point you to more recent books that are free for a limited time.
I'm currently reading Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson, a UK author. Love her books.
I have a nook and I LOVE it. I was really resistant to e-readers but my parents finally talked me into getting one (and actually generously bought it for me) this fall. And I love it. I actually prefer to read books on it. I love how light & portable it is!
ReplyDeleteRight now I am reading 'The Invisible Bridge' which is set in Paris & Budapest during WWII. It is a very heavy book, but I think it's well written and it's been a great read.