This weekend I started feeling better, and I attempted to do my long run on Saturday. Since I wasn't sure how it would go and since I didn't want cold air on my ear (an ear ache had been the worst of my symptoms) I decided to run on the treadmill. I had run 10 miles on the 'mill the previous week, and had managed to pass the time pretty pleasurably by reading my kindle. I thought I would do it again. I think between tiring easily from my cold and adjusting my normal gait a bit to accommodate reading, I did something to my back. I promptly exacerbated the problem by sitting down on the couch in a strange position to read a book I had assigned for my class. Two hours later my lower back felt sore and by the next morning I was in a fair amount of pain.
Monday was the worst. I didn't sleep well on Sunday night, as I was unable to find and stay in a comfortable position. I skipped my run in exchange for alternating heating and ice packs. Yesterday was somewhat better, but I spent a 12 hour day on campus. My back is still bothering me a bit, but after only one run in the past week (4.2 miles on Saturday), I decided that a short, slow, gentle run might actually help to loosen up the tightness in my back.
I ran mid-morning as a break from grading midterm exams, and I'm sad to report that it was not a miracle cure for all that ailed me. However, I do think it helped loosen me up a bit, and it doesn't seem to have made anything any worse than it was. And it felt good to sweat for the first time in several days. Hopefully, I'll be pain free again soon. Because it's definitely frustrating to have essentially lost a week of training.
When I hurt my back at the end of July and throughout August, I was a mess. I was constantly freaking out about how many miles I should have been running and instead could hardly walk. I think I got in a total of 25 miles for the month - painful miles :(
ReplyDeleteOh no! I hope your back gets better soon... That really sucks...
ReplyDeleteI am impressed that you can run while reading! I tried to do that once and came so close to falling. I just can't seem to stride straight when reading - I start to sort of angle to the side...
Ugh, I hate being forced to sit out when my body won't cooperate with my want-to! I hope your back feels better soon.
ReplyDeleteBut seriously? Reading on the treadmill? I get seasick just thinking about that.
Bummer! The academic life can be weird, the stuff we do. I too have lots of papers and projects to grade...not a favorite thing to do. Yoga should help. I find my back problems usually are alignment issues and when I can stretch out my spine it helps a lot. Good luck and feel better!
ReplyDeleteSorry you are hurting! I hope it behaves itself very soon...
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't have tried it with a book, but it seemed to be going okay with the Kindle. Clearly, I was wrong about that, though.
ReplyDeleteMichelle, how did you get rid of the pain? Mine has lessened significantly over the past couple of days, but I'm still not 100%.
ReplyDeleteRight now bending over is the most painful thing of all. I'm not sure any sun salutations will be in my immediate future.
ReplyDelete