Sunday, March 27, 2011

Weekly +/- 2.12

I realize that I write from a position of relative privilege when I complain about a cold or a muscle spasm.  They are trivial bothers compared to struggles with cancer or chronic back pain or with the devastation in Japan.  So with that in mind I'm going to mostly focus my weekly +/- posts in the future in terms of how my training is going and how I'm progressing (or not) towards my monthly goals and my more long term 2011 goals.

In the - column:

- My cold has been throwing a wrench in my training this week and in my monthly mileage goal.  It's also made me a bit of a whiner and a crank.

- My goal of getting more organized has been a mixed bag so far.  This was evidenced by the difficulties in tracking down all of my necessary documents to file my taxes, and the fact that I had to reset about five pins and passwords because I didn't remember them in the process.

- Again, I have not been maintaining my food journal consistently.  I have also been eating strange things at weird intervals - probably again due to the cold that will not end.

In the + column:

+ I have allowed myself to catch up on sleep this week.  Although I'm still not feeling 100%, I feel more rested than I have in months.

+ For the past week, I have been making daily to-do lists, and that has kept me more focused and on track and productive than I have been for a while.  I have been breaking things up into categories and then prioritizing them.  It soothes my inner nerd even when I can't check everything off the list.

+ My mom had her first series of injection treatments this week.  It has helped to reduce the back pain she has been dealing with for months tremendously.  She goes back for another set next week.

+ Since I have not been shopping in 2011 and since both M. and I got some reimbursements (and M. got his first ever honorarium as a speaker), we were able to donate some more money to relief efforts in Japan and to move some money into savings.

How has your week been?  I hope its pluses have outweighed its minuses!

8 comments:

  1. I hope your cold is completely gone soon! I hate how colds seem to hang around and take way too long to go away!

    Minus column: My long run didn't go so hot this morning. I ended up doing 7.25 instead of 9. My hip flexor was really tight which is odd as that has never bugged me before. So I decided to listen to my body. Hopefully with some stretching this week, it won't bug me during the race on Sunday.

    Plus column: I worked really hard and am now a week ahead on the study materials for that exam I am taking in June. Which means I can enjoy myself next weekend in DC and not think about how I should be studying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you on the getting organized thing, so much work to do something that will only get messed up again. I need a maid. Yay for sleep, that may help with many of the things in the not-so-good column!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm glad the injections are helping your mom's pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Organizing and staying organized really is such a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hope the stretching helps and that the hip feels fine during the race! Yay for enjoying DC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your cold goes away soon! I find that daily to-do lists are very helpful. I'm so glad your mum is doing better. And that's so great that you were able to donate/save money!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope you get rid of that cold soon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.