Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wine and Unicorns

On our way back from the airport last week M. and I made a quick stop at Trader Joe's for a few items.  While I was perusing the wine section, I came across a bottle of Tribunal, a California red blend that was being advertised as tasty and not the only bottle of wine with a unicorn on it.  I already had the other beunicorned bottle (a Spanish garnacha) in my basket, so I thought why not?
M. and I enjoyed the Tribunal one evening last week with dinner.  While my wine guzzling palate is not as sophisticated as I would like it to be (it has developed somewhat over the past few years - especially with time spent living in Spain), I'm pretty sure that this was a tasty wine for the price of $9.99.  Although I didn't find it to be as subtle or complex as some of the wines that I like, it was flavorful and fruity without being too sweet.  The unicorn did not let me down.

Are you a wine drinker?  What bottles have you especially enjoyed lately that you would recommend?

11 comments:

  1. HI there! Thanks for following - I'm following you to! Looking forward to reading your posts!!! I have gained so much knowledge & inspiration from all you ladies!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know my feelings about wine! I like a new grape (though I'm not discriminating). The Ravenswood Zin is affordable and very consistent. Nice and full in that California way. But I suspect you've tried it. I know it's quite readily available here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a couple of bottles of the Ravenswood Zin and agree with your assessment. Are there any good Ontario wines that I should try next time in TO?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there, I came to your blog jumping from one runner´s blog to another. I take the liberty to follow you. I´m living in Spain. At least, wine wise your time in Spain was fruitful. Regards,

    - I used to drink some wine and some beer from time to time but since I run more seriously I drink almost nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. used to be a wine drinker, but i consume alcohol no longer, so no recommendations from me (sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a connoiseuer by any means, and I was unable to drink while touring Napa Valley last week (sigh), but actually my current favorite is the merlot wine cube from Target. But if you want something a little nicer, I also really really like Malbecs, typically from Argentina. They're great with dinner and very smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gracias por tu comentario y por seguir!

    I should probably drink a bit less than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's a local winery just right down the road from my house. I don't know SQUAT about wine (couldn't tell you the difference between a cabernet and bordeaux and pinot noir or any of those other fancy wine words), but I know which one of their wines I like! But no way could I go into a liquor store and pick one up off the shelf. That's what I dig aboutt his place. They let you sample before you buy. :) I've left there with a buzz just from sampling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Target doesn't sell wine, and I can't get over my prejudice of boxed wine (even though I know there are some pretty good ones). I do enjoy Malbecs (and Pinot Noirs) as a general rule.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.