Sunday, July 31, 2011

July in Review

I got into a rhythm of running and revising and writing in July that was really pretty nice. The month went by way too fast, but I did accomplish a number of my goals this time around.

My goals were:

Writing/Professional Goals 
- Finish revising an article and resubmit it to an academic journal. - Done! I'm just waiting for some images and an image usage permissions form to arrive from a manuscript collection, and as soon as that comes and the images are integrated, I will send this out.   
- Write a draft of the conference paper I will be presenting in August. - Not quite.  I have an outline and notes and a couple of pages, but I don't have a complete draft of it yet.  This will be my major task for this week.  
- Write the syllabi for my three fall courses and three lectures for my new upper level course. - Kind of done! I have the syllabi taken care of, but I did not get to lecture-writing this month.
- Finish organizing my new office on campus and establish good writing habits while using it. - Mostly done. Since I have more space on campus, I've been trying to take a few books in with me each time I go to clear out shared office space at home. In terms of getting into good work habits in my new office, I will declare this a success! I have done lots of writing and revising and reading in there and have kept the f*cking around on the internets to a minimum.


Fitness/Health Goals
- Run 90 miles. Done! I ran 95.7 miles in July - many of them with the running group that I joined a few weeks ago.
- Create a Chicago Marathon training journal and inspiration book. I did this, and I'm trying to add a few things to it each week.
- Journal everything that I eat. There were a couple of days during the month when I didn't write everything down, but this was overall a success.
- Do yoga at least twice a week. Mostly successful. I did yoga at least once every week, and most weeks I spent some time on my mysore rug at least twice.

In July I also spent many hours working at my favorite coffee shop and reading on my deck. My husband and I went on a fantastic Harry Potter date night. I ran my first 8K and set a new 5K PR. I joined an awesome running group. I met with a sports psychologist for the first time, and really started employing mental strategies to reframe and counter my negative thoughts.

How was your July? Any awesome races? Work promotions? Pieces published or drafted or revised?  I would love to hear about what July held for you!

7 comments:

  1. You had a great July. I had a pretty good month, minus my husband being gone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you had a really great month, Raquel!  Way to go on your PR, first 8K, article, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!  July was an awesome month for you!  I just wrote my recap that will post tomorrow.  I ran 76 miles and biked 46, which I am really happy about.  I moved and fell in love with my new neighborhood - which has given me a new lease on life.  But the BIGGEST accomplishment was finding out I passed the CFA.  :)  I am actually not dreading the 2nd test, which is next June, because now I have some confidence after passing level one.  ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a great month!  Way to go with the 90+ miles! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you've had a really great month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew, you had a good month!  And I love the picture here--ah, summertime!

    I think I'm just glad July is over.  It wasn't a terrible month, all things considered, but it wasn't great either.  But I did hit almost all my fitness goals, and I was productive at work, AND I still managed to find some time to relax.  So...success? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW you're a beast!!! Congrats on meeting your goals. July was filled with too much drinking and eating for me, haha. The last couple weeks I was really good and limited myself to about 3 beers a week and ate really healthy. Now that I have the elliptical I plan to get back into cardio and really trying to stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.