This week's training wasn't perfect, but I did log some quality miles and get some good time on my feet. I'm looking forward to trying for a PR at my half-marathon at the end of the week (more to come on this soon) and getting into some higher mileages in the next few weeks.
Week 4
Monday - schedule 6 miles progressive. Actual 6 miles, but not progressive. It was during this run that I realized that I really do have to have a cup of coffee before my runs - especially when I am hitting the pavement at 5:15 am. My brain and body were weirdly out of sync. Whenever I would tell myself to speed up, I would speed up way too much. My pace was erratic hitting 8s and 12s that had nothing to do with the inclines/declines throughout the run. That said, this run awarded me one of the most spectacular running views I have had in a while: cresting a hill with mist rising off the river, a crescent moon in the dark blue early morning sky, and people in my running group up ahead along the path.
Tuesday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest. Actual 3 miles easy after my weight work out. I just didn't feel like doing the elliptical or stair climber.
Wednesday - scheduled 4.5 miles tempo. Actual 4.2 miles tempo. I hadn't done a tempo run in a while, and it had kind of slipped my mind that they could be challenging. I pressed through and finished the run and followed up with some yoga.
Thursday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest. Actual 0 miles. I had planned to move my Friday run to Thursday and actually got up at 4:30 am to make a 5:15 run with my group. When I woke up, though, I had a sinus headache and a bit of swelling on the left side of my face, so I opted to go back to bed.
Friday - scheduled 5 miles easy. Actual 0 miles.
Saturday - scheduled 12 miles LSD. Actual 11 miles. My period arrived late Friday night with the delightful symptoms that accompany it. I had planned to do 13.25 miles because there wasn't a good 12 mile route where the group was running, but I decided to downgrade to 11.25 since I wasn't feeling all that great. On the positive side, there were over 30 people at the group run on Saturday, so there were a couple of women running just my pace and I had company the entire time. The miles just fly by as we chatted about our training, the races we had done, the ones we wanted to do, blogs that we like, and so on.
Sunday - scheduled 0 miles. Actual 0 miles.
Coming up for Week 5
Monday - scheduled 6 miles with 5 at goal half-marathon pace.
Tuesday - scheduled 0 miles - active rest.
Wednesday - scheduled 5 miles easy.
Thursday - 4 miles easy.
Friday - scheduled 0 miles.
Saturday - URBAN WILDLAND HALF-MARATHON.
Sunday - scheduled 0 miles.
Is anyone else running Chicago? If you are running a fall marathon or half-marathon, I would love to know which one you have on your schedule and why you chose it!
That's great that you have an active group of runners like that. Running with friends make it so much easier I think. Even though you didn't get all the miles in you got smart miles! Have a fun taper week!
ReplyDeleteI'd love to run Chicago someday. I'm doing the Heartbreak Ridge Half at Camp Pendleton in September. Not sure why really because it's been brutal training in this heat. Not to mention the course is virtually ALL HILLS. I must be a masochist.
ReplyDeleteChicago is potentially on my bucket list one day. Fast, flat, great city--I'm sure you'll love it!
ReplyDeleteI was looking at the Chicago Marathon as one that I wanted to run (before we found out about the Germany thing). I really would love to run that someday along with the MCM
ReplyDeleteYou have such a great running week planned! I'm excited for you--race weeks are always fun to me. Good luck! I think you are going to have a great race.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Rose-Anne!
ReplyDeleteI would love to run Berlin someday. It looks like you might have the chance to do that next year, huh?
ReplyDeleteI know. Going for a PR in an August race seems a little masochistic to me, but I'm going to give it my all!
ReplyDeleteSounds like a great week!!! Awesome job on your runs! :0) Good luck in your upcoming half!
ReplyDeleteHalf teh people in my run club are doing Chicago! I might do that next year or maybe in 2013. I think it would be fun to run a HUGE race like that. And I have family in Chciago so that means I would have spectators. :)
ReplyDelete