Friday, September 16, 2011

Decisions, Distance, and Perspective

After a couple of shorter runs this week and another trip to the chiro, I have weighed my options and decided not to toe the line at the Chicago Marathon this year. It was a hard decision to make and some tears have been involved, but, when I was feeling that dull ache in my hip at mile 1.5 of a 3 mile run with my dear friend Suzie this morning, I knew that it was the right decision for me right now.

I am still going to run a 10 mile race in the Twin Cities next weekend. I have plans to meet up with Lisa, and I'm really excited to get to meet her in person after reading her blog and exchanging comments and emails for many months. This race will also be my first women's only event, which I think will make it really special. I am going to take it easy and will run/walk it if I need to.  After that, I am going to take some time off from running and let this injury heal. Cycling, thankfully, doesn't hurt and doesn't seem to be aggravating the issue, so I will continue to bike to campus, strength train, do yoga, and try to force myself to get into the pool at my local Y for some aqua jogging and perhaps attempt to swim a lap (I am not a strong swimmer at all). There is a 10K in October that I'm registered for, and if I'm feeling healthy by then I will run it. If I don't, I won't.

In the past twelve months, I have run two 5Ks, a 10K, five half-marathons, and one full marathon. I am grateful that my body let me do all of that. I am optimistic that it will let me run plenty more in the future. That sub 5 hour marathon (and faster) is out there for me, and I will get there. It just won't be in Chicago on October 9th. The important thing is that I get this IT band issue under control so that I'm not sidelined for long.

Thanks so much to everyone who has left comments and sent emails in support as I've struggled with this injury and with coming to terms with what it meant for my fall marathon plans! I really appreciate the runners in my life, both in my local running community and out here on the internets.

27 comments:

  1. I hate having to make those kinds of hard decisions.  I hope you get your IT band whipped back into shape soon. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge bummer and hugs to you.  It must have been a really hard decision.  Cry away my friend. Your fellow runners understand. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad I won't get to see you (and M.) but I'm really glad you made this decision and made it now. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sad for you to hear that Chicago isn't in the cards this year, but it absolutely sounds like the right decision for you and your body! You've already accomplished so many rockin' runs this year :) Here's to many more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes the right decision isn't the easy one.  But it seems you managed to make the right decision anyway.  Have fun with the 10 mile race and best wishes getting fully well.  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm sorry. :( I know how you feel. Hang in there and get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about Chicago--I know how hard that decision was. But I do think you're making the right move. Get on top of it now and live to run another marathon this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me too, amiga! I was really looking forward to seeing you and J. Perhaps you will be in Chicago when we're there for the AHA in January and we can hang then.  Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Lisa. It definitely wasn't easy, and I spent a few days sulking before I could really come to terms with it. 

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Amanda! And thanks so much for all your tips and insights in dealing with this.  

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm bummed that I won't get to meet you in Chicago, but you'll just have to come down sometime for a non-running visit.  I know this was a hard decision, but you know, the Chicago marathon will be there next year.  You have to take care of yourself, so this definitely sounds like the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a wise lady.  I hope you heal up fast and can do that 10K.  Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tough choices. Never easy to do. But you are smart to scale back in favor of healing. I'm sorry you are hurting and hope you arevfeeling healthier and stronger very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have to do what is right for you and right for your body. I am thinking the same thing about the Frankfurt Marathon but haven't made a final decision yet. My back is still in a lot of pain and feels so stiff. 

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know how disappointed you must be, especially considering the months of training you've put in to this race. I do not doubt that, if injury free, you would complete the marathon and reach your goal. That said, sometimes the biggest victory is listening to your body, honoring it's limits, and knowing when to bow out. I think this is the best decision you could make. In the long run (pun totally intended) one race is a small thing, especially when you look at all you've already accomplished in the last twelve months alone and all you WILL accomplish in the years to come.

    Rest up, heal quickly, have heart! I'll be thinking of you. 

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anne, I will be in Chicago again for a few days in early January for a conference. I would love it if we could meet up again.  M (formerly SFE) and I have talked about how much we are certain to like you IRL, so we should all have a lunch or drink or something.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh! I am so sorry to hear that you are still having back issues.  I hope they heal quickly and you are still able to do Frankfurt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Chrissy. It totally sucks, but it totally does not suck to have the support of awesome people like yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a bummer, you must be really disappointed. I had to drop out of a few favorite events at my last meet because of health issues and did not feel happy about it. But I have heard horror stories from other runners ignoring their bodies and ending up with fractured bones at the end of races, so kudos to you for listening to your body!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been missing some of your posts and am sorry to hear you're injured. But it seems like a wise decision to skip this marathon. I've done a women's race only three times and it's a lot of fun. Have fun at it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh gosh, I hope I don't disappoint :)  I saw that when I scrolled down after commenting, and I'd love to meet up with you ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's really hard to make this choices, I know I just made one myself. But I also know the relief that comes when we make a decision that is jsut simply right for us at the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Bummer! I have been out of the loop and hated to miss your posts but it sounds like you are being wise. You have had an amazing 12 months, so much good work! Sometimes making the 'choice' can be so liberating and the stress is probably gone. Good for you making the right choice and keeping a good attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear the news!  It takes courage to let go of a dream (for now), and I can totally understand the disappointment that accompanies the feeling of relief.  I am thinking of you and hoping for a full and speedy recovery.  Hang in there, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so sorry to hear that you have to back out of the race.  It is a bit heart breaking, isn't it?  I know there are bigger problems out there, but when you focus an dtrain for something, it's tough to back away from it.  But you are doing the smart thing.  It's better to recognize you have an injury and take it easy v. doing the race and risking an even worse injury! 

    I can't wait to meet you next weekend!  I think the run will be really fun and brunch after will be delicious  :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Joannaruns.blogspot.comSeptember 20, 2011 at 10:39 PM

    Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear this. I was hoping for a solution that would let you run. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.