Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Brief Hiatus

I'm off to the airport in a couple of hours for a conference trip. I love going to conferences and really getting to feel the pendulum swing in the scholarly direction. I also am getting to that point in my career when conferences are starting to provide an excellent opportunity to meet up with old friends and colleagues and catch up on their lives. Since the conference is in Fort Worth, and I went to university just a few hours up the road, a number of my college friends live in the area, so I'm also going to be able to have dinner with my college roommate of 3 years, my best girlfriend from college, and another good friend on Saturday night.
My best friend and college roomie and me (and part of my left boob) at my best college girlfriend's wedding in 2008
So exciting but busy times are ahead of me for the next couple of days. I have a stack of papers to grade and a lecture or two to write somehow while I'm traveling as well, so I'll be taking a few days off from blogging. I'll be back next week with tales from my travels and hopefully some news about where my training will be going over the next couple of months.

In the meantime, I would love to know if you have any Halloween plans! Are you getting dressed up? Do you have kids who will be trick-or-treating?

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun trip--enjoy!
    Our Halloween party was last weekend but the fun doesn't end there. Kids have more parties, trick or treating etc. to come. Exhausting but fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time! I've only once gone to a conference mid-term before, and at that point I was a grad student, only teaching one course. I can imagine exactly the trade-off between the excitement and stimulation of the presentations/networking and the challenge and exhaustion of keeping up with your marking and prepping. Good luck with it all.
    As for Halloween, I'm teaching a first-year class that evening from 6 to 9 p.m., so I don't even get to see all the cute little people trucking to the door in their costumes. And I'm not sure I'm motivated to dress up for evening class. Can one be a Halloween Scrooge? Bah, humbug. . . Boo! humbug. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip!  It sounds like the conference will be a real treat for you :-)  Enjoy Texas's autumn warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see you at the conference - safe travels!

    xoxo ~ Courtney
    http://sartorialsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a great trip!  So fun to be able to see friends on a work trip.  I love when I can make that happen.

    I have no Hallloween plans!  I will probably attempt to go for a run (assuming I am healthy by then, i have been sick for DAYS).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a blast! I love reconnecting with old friends (and have been making an effort at it lately too). We are doing a Halloween pub crawl on Sat. night with some friends on the historic Main St. of our town. Looking forward to it and thinking that my hurt feet may provide some costume inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joannaruns.blogspot.comOctober 26, 2011 at 8:21 PM

    I love/hate conferences for exactly those reasons. But they reinvigorate me and inspire me, so mostly it's love. Enjoy the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy the conference! I just returned from one last week, and it left me with a proverbial "spring in my step" work-wise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun! I am not dressing up for Halloween, but will be eating my share of goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the conference went well!  My only Halloween plan is using a Groupon for a spa day tomorrow. Oh, and eating candy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a GREAT time!!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't really do Halloween. But I have a birthday party to go to and we are having the most amazing cool and clear fall weather and on Sunday I go for a nice trail run. Have fun at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you're having a great trip!  Its wonderful to catch up with college friends!

    In Halloween spirit, I carved pumpkins yesterday and baked -- and am going out tomorrow for one of the most epic Halloween celebrations I've ever heard of: 20,000+ people in our little downtown area.  Should be a night to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish you safe and enjoyable travels!

    Rachaelp.s. It's the last day to enter the giveaway on my blog! Be sure to enter when you get the chance. 

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.