The 10K was one of several races put on in Mankato this weekend. The Mankato Marathon was in its second year and, having run the half-marathon last year, I could tell that a number of improvements had been made to the race, and the number of participants had at least doubled. On Friday there was a 5K and a Kids' 1K run that around 250 children participated in. The Marathon, Half-Marathon, and 10K races all started at the Minnesota State University parking lots. Last year all three events started at the same time and the field was pretty crowded at the start. This year the 10K started a half hour earlier. The good thing about that was that opened up the field for running. The bad thing about it was that I didn't get to see many of my 13.1 and 26.2 peeps before the race started.
The weather was perfect for running - chilly and clear without any wind to speak of. I was freezing as I lined up and waited for the race to start, but fortunately I had timed it well and only had to wait for a few minutes. Before long the gun fired and we were off. My plan was to start out slowly and walk if I needed to. I hadn't run for a week because of illness, and I didn't want to overdo it and end up with a reinjured IT Band. I was enjoying myself, smiling and thanking volunteers and occasionally chatting with other runners. This part of the course went from the university through some residential neighborhoods and there were some spectators out cheering. There were a few challenging inclines, but nothing as hilly as I know the marathoners faced. Around mile 3 or so the course went downhill for about half a mile. I coasted down hill and chatted with a runner from Iowa who was running her first 10K for a few minutes.
Right before the mile 4 marker, a family in an SUV drove by twice, honking and cheering. This definitely put some pep into my step. I had already sped up a bit, but I realized then that my hip felt fine. My lungs felt pretty good, too. I decided to speed it up and see if I couldn't pick off some other runners. (This was less about being competitive with them than giving me little goals to shoot for.) Even though I was Garminless and watchless, I could tell by feel that I had dropped my pace from something close to an 11 min/mile to something closer to a 9 min/mile for the last two miles. The 10K, half, and full all ended in downtown Mankato and rather than rounding a corner into the finish this year, it was a straight shot. Runners could see the finish from quite a distance away. I thought this was an excellent change to the course because I could gauge exactly when I should gun it for my final kick. I finished in 1:04:27 -- like I said, not a PR, but a fun race and a progressive run for me.
After making my way through the finishers' chute and getting some water and some post-race snacks, I met up with M. and Bailey (who had made some friends). I did some stretching, used a washroom, and got a cup of coffee. Then I made my way back to the last stretch before the finish to wait for the half-marathoners to start finishing. I missed the first place male half-marathoner, but I got to see the second finisher and the first female half-marathoner speeding her way toward the finish. There were also some 10K runners still coming in, including a shampoo bottle. Happily, I got to see several of my half-marathon running friends. After about an hour, though, I decided I was getting too cold, and that we should get headed toward home. I wish I had been able to stay for the marathoners to finish, as three of my friends finished their first marathons yesterday, but I am traveling this week and I need to try to stay healthy.
It was a fun time and a great event. The volunteers were plentiful and friendly. The swag was pretty good, and it seems like some of the first-time kinds of organizational kinks were worked out from last year. I'm not sure where my next fall marathon will be, but Mankato is a possibility.
How was your weekend? Any races? PRs? Autumn camping or hiking trips?
How can you go wrong with a name like Mankato? Sounds like it would definitely make a good candidate for your marathon next fall--the weather would have to be perfect! Congrats on getting out there and feeling good after time off.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad your hip/IT band behaved and let you enjoy the race!
ReplyDeleteI've got my second 10K coming up in a couple of weeks, and as bad as I want to pull off a PR and get under an hour (current PR is 1:00:34), I just don't know if I'll be able to pull it off as little as I've run this summer!
Congrats on your 10k, and I'm so glad your pain subsided to let you race! I love the running shampoo bottle...too funny!
ReplyDeleteNice race! Swim season is still in somewhat of a hiatus, but I am about to get in the full swing of winter season. Thanks to traveling, I don't get to enter a meet until 1st week of December, boo. Between an upcoming Rhode Island conference, family/friend events in New Jersey and Sonoma, tenure-track interview (yay!) in south Jersey, and husband's work schedule, no fall plans have emerged other than getting through it in one piece.
ReplyDeleteHappy to hear you had a good race without issues...the shampoo bottle is quite funny!
ReplyDeleteWonderful! You must feel really relieved to be running this distance without injury -- and it's impressive that you could pull off this time after a slow and careful start. Bravo!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you enjoyed your 10k! (AND ran without pain!) Sometimes we that race that's just about having fun and loving to run!
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the 10km! Not running for a week and then doing a race is tough but you did it.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were feeling better and were able to run in the 10k this weekend.
ReplyDeleteI have a running question for you. I am just getting into running (and am not very good at it and don't love it yet). I ran a 10K for my first race in April and ran another one yesterday, both around 56mins. There is a **flat** half marathon on December 11th. Do you think there is enough time to train for that? Training schedules for a half seem fairly long, but since I trained for the 10k, do you think that would give me a head start? I wouldn't even be thinking about it, but I think it is the only flat half of the year, so if it is possible, I'd like to start with that!
If you don't feel comfortable answering that question, don't worry about it! I think you are the only blogger I follow that talks about running, so you were a natural first choice to ask!
Thanks, Linda!
ReplyDeleteIf you can already run 10K, I think you could complete a half-marathon in December! You could modify a novice training program, like this one http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm, so that you are coming in around a 6 or 7 mile long run for your first week. I think my longest run before my first half-marathon was 11 miles and I have seen a number of training programs that only call for a 10 mile long run during training. Race day excitement and adrenaline will carry you that last couple of miles.
This makes me so happy: gorgeous fall running, a pain-free race, a happy finish, an uninjured friend. I'm so, so happy for you. Cheers to a great race and a great attitude that carried you to that start line. You've been a trooper about your injury, and I just feel like you deserve to remember why you love to run in the first place.
ReplyDeletexoxo
That looks like a great run and I am SO GLAD that your IT pain has gotten better! I think that 10k races are one of my favorite distances...long enough to push you, but short enough so you are not completely wiped! I am glad it went well!
ReplyDeleteUg, I am sick too! Silly fall colds! I am on an off day today but am dreading tomorrow (and the rest of the week) when I am supposed to run some pretty serious mileage. Yuck.
Nice job! We went for a few nice walks around the neighborhood this weekend, but that was about as much energy as I had to do anything.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad to hear that this went so well. I have an athletic fashion question that I've been wondering for awhile: Are you wearing a wicking fabric skirt or is it a tunic below your top?
ReplyDeleteIt's actually that much-maligned garment, the skapris. I bought it at a race expo last year, and I love it because it covers my ass while I run. I've worn it for a couple of half-marathons and other races. I haven't seen that many other ones, but I know that Nike makes a similar one in black.
ReplyDeleteThanks, amiga! I really am just so glad to be running again!
ReplyDeleteAwesome job on the 10K and great pictures!! :0) Congrats!
ReplyDeleteSo glad you got to race pain-free!
ReplyDeleteGreat job! Sounds like fun. And you didn't have pain. It's all good :-)
ReplyDeleteI am glad you had a great race! Looks like the weather was pretty darn perfect! Good call on not waiting around too long, you got to take care of yourself!!
ReplyDeleteMy weekend was great. I spent time with family, which was great. I am home sick today but hopeuflly I am on the road to full health!
Congratulations! It was a gorgeous day for running. The events last year and this year were fun and well organized. It is great to see Mankato on the race map.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, sounds like a great run . :)
ReplyDelete