Monday, October 17, 2011

Injury Recovery Update and a Race Decision

This weekend I was able to do a 4 mile run.  I had more or less decided that if I could get through a 4 mile run without any pain that I would plan to go ahead and run the 10K that I am registered for next weekend. Going into the run I was cautiously optimistic.

I got up Saturday and met with my running group, which meets up with an even larger group of local runners on Saturdays. Most of them were doing 8 or 9 miles, as their last long run before the Mankato Marathon or Half-Marathon. I had decided that I would just do an out and back 4 milers. My plan was to keep it nice and easy, but I was apparently so excited that I started out a little bit too fast (around a 9 minute mile for the first mile) before I slowed it down for the other 3 miles. I chatted with a running friend on the 2 miles out and they just flew by, as we talked about work and buying running gear for cold weather. I turned back and took a couple of short walk breaks on the return just to be on the safe side with my hip. At the end of the run, my IT band felt tired but I didn't have any pain, so I decided that I'll run the 10K next Saturday and then continue another few weeks of keeping to low mileage and easy running.
The group this past Saturday
My running group got together at our coach's house for breakfast a little later that morning, and in a total blogging fail I took my point and shoot with me but forgot to take a single picture. I was too busy enjoying all the delicious food and chatting with running friends that I hadn't seen much for the past few weeks since my running schedule has been so sporadic because of my injury. It was great to hang out with them and catch up on their training and their lives.

I'm excited to be able to run the 10K this upcoming weekend. After several weeks of minimal running, I'm just really grateful to be able to be able to hit the pavement again. My conditioning has declined after 5 weeks of minimal mileage, and I want to make sure that I don't wind up sidelined again by going out too fast, so I have absolutely no time goals for this race. I just want to have fun and enjoy running it.

I spent most of the rest of my weekend hunkered down and working, so it was a treat to be able to run and hang out with running friends on Saturday morning. What did you do this weekend?  Any races, awesome brunches, or football games?

17 comments:

  1. That's awesome that you will run the 10km next weekend. I hope it goes well and painfree for you.

    My weekend was pretty good. I'm looking forward to tomorrow when I'm going to Luxembourg and France. Even tho I'm going solo, it should still be good

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for pain-free running!!  best wishes with the 10K next weekend.  I have one the following weekend and I don't feel prepared at all.  But....it should be fun.  :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as you're heading out of injury, I fear I'm heading into . . . but at least I achieved a personal goal this weekend, breaking the 2-hour mark for a Half Marathon thanks to my younger sister running with me to pace me. I have a very stiff right ankle today, something that's been threatening over the last 5 or 6 weeks, on and off, but I'm going to cross my fingers and hope it "goes away". Meanwhile, I'm resting on my laurels for a few days.
    I've been following you for a few weeks now -- enjoy your mix of running talk and academic life very much. Pleased you're back on track with your running and good luck with your 10K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you're getting back into running! It's definitely frustrating to have a set back, but I realy believe you learn something different each time. I'm excited to hear about your 10k!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay on being able to run this weekend...hope the 10K goes well!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay!  So happy to hear you are on the mend!  Good luck this coming weekend with your 10K!  =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy for you! 10k, here you come! And don't feel bad about the picture taking--I am horrible about it also. Maybe there's a support group for bloggers like us? ; )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that your recovery is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hurray!  I'm happy to hear the good news.  Have fun next weekend--fall races are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun looking bunch!

    I did my first double digit run in a couple of months yesterday. YAY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! (Sometimes taking it easy really is the best decision, even when we don't want to.) I can't wait to hear about the 10k next weekend.

    In the meantime... I did my long run on Sunday. The first 90% of the miles felt pretty good, but I crashed and burned on the last mile and did some run/walking. I followed that up with an amazing brunch (fried chicken and other good southern goodies + a bloody mary), and took a long-overdue nap. THEN I spent the rest of the weekend doing work. Overall, a nice balance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun run/event!  I ran 9.6 miles with the people who were tapering for Mankato.  I was a little tired at the end - legs are no recovered from my half apparently! 

    My next face is a 10k on Thanksgiving day.  I wlil not take it seriously, though.  I just want to do it so I don't feel guilty stuffing my face that day.  And it's a good way to start a holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Food is infinitely more important than pictures. Glad your hip did well on your run.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so great that you are feeling better!! I am happy for you. It must feel great! Your running group is big! And it looks like it was a cold morning.

    This weekend I ran a long run of 16 miles and it was really hard. It was 90 degrees here and I am having nutrition issues. Oh well, better to figure it out now than later.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with the 10K!  I'm so glad to see that your ITB is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joannaruns.blogspot.comOctober 18, 2011 at 7:54 PM

    So very glad to hear that the hip is playing nice!! 

    ReplyDelete
  17. Friend runners, or "frunners" as my friend Ultra Mama C calls them, are the best! Good for you going out there without a time goal, just to enjoy running! Good luck this weekend and don't get caught up in the race excitement - stick to your race plan!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.