Two years ago I ran my first marathon. It didn't go perfectly. It wasn't fast, and it wasn't always fun, but it changed my life. I became a marathoner. Before that I had run a couple of 5Ks for fun, and I had run a 10K and a half-marathon as part of my training for that 26.2. But nothing could compare to the feeling of elation that I experienced when I crossed the finish line of the Columbus Marathon in 2009. It is still my proudest running moment and I still consider it one of my greatest accomplishments.
 |
| My TNT Group |
It was a chilly morning, and I cut off the bottoms from a pair of tube socks to wear them as discardable arm warmers with my TNT singlet. I ended up never taking them off. I finished getting ready and headed down to the Hyatt in downtown Columbus to meet up with my group from Team in Training to have a bit of breakfast and some coffee and snap some photos. I used the bathroom a couple of times, but (TMI warning) I was too nervous to poo. Before long it was time to head out to the start line. I lined up with the 5 hour pace group and we were off. The pacer's name was Larry and most of the people running in the group were women, so someone started referring to our group as Larry's Ladies. It was such a fun group with both first-timers, like me, and veterans. I ran the first 14 miles with them and was feeling pretty good. At around mile 13, a friend who was also running the marathon decided to DNF, which was hard for me to handle emotionally. At mile 14, I stopped to use a biffy, and I lost my group. That was also a momentum killer for me, and I started to struggle a few miles after that. But I continued to put one foot in front of the other, running some, walking some, and I made it to the finish. And when I did, I knew that I wanted to do it again. I knew that I was strong, tough, and would endure. I was a marathoner and had accomplished one of my life goals.
 |
| About to cross the finish line |
I know that someday here before too long, I will run a third marathon. But for today remembering my first one is enough.
Keep these stories coming! I am so nervous for my marathon and it really helps to see how other people have done it...and also how I need to just remember to have fun and not to worry about my time or my performance. It's going to be fine!
ReplyDeleteAlso, a biffy? I assume this is a porta potty, but why do you call it a biffy?
What a great reflection on your first marathon! I did my 1st about 5 years ago! Kind of crazy to hink I embarked on marathons that long ago. I took a long break from running after that because of grad schoo, etc. And not I am back at it. I took this year off from marathons, but next year I will be back at it.
ReplyDeleteA first marathon is such a special experience. That was not my best race, but I will forever be proud of that accomplishment.
I ran Columbus 2009 too! Wow it was so cold at the start! This was fun to read.
ReplyDeleteMy first is my PW and it was boiling hot. Blah.
Girl, you are going to do great! My training for that first marathon was a complete trainwreck. I couldn't run with TnT very often and I missed a lot of work outs. I was so nervous on race day that I was going to get shuttled off the course, but I finished and so will you!
ReplyDeleteAnother blogger (who doesn't really post anymore) called them biffies, and I thought the word was kind of fun and started using it too.
My mileage seriously declined when I was finishing my dissertation to about 0 - 10 miles a week. I'm sad that the marathon thing didn't work out for me this fall, but I know that I will be back at it again soon, too!
ReplyDeleteThat's pretty cool that we did the same race! I much prefer cold to boiling hot for running.
ReplyDeleteI just plain stopped running. Which was so dumb! I got so overwhelmed with grad school and work and group projects etc. oh well, at least I found my way back to the sport!! I can see why you cut back when working on your dissertation!!!
ReplyDeleteI am excited to see what marathons we end up doing next year. I kind of want to enter the lottery for NYC as its on my bucket list...
I am totally going to use that! Biffy!
ReplyDeleteCan I come!???
ReplyDeleteThat would be awesome!! :) I have heard such great things about that race and I watched a documentary about the history of that marathon!!!
ReplyDeleteLoved this - I think my first one will always be very special as well. I bet that was really hard when you friend dropped out and you continued on.
ReplyDeleteI've never even run one. I'm not sure that I ever will, either. But I'm fairly certain you WILL run a 3rd.
ReplyDeleteAw, this is such eloquent nostalgia! I love people's marathon stories, though I've never run one and quite frankly, it's not on my list of things to do right now. But maybe some day, just so I can have a first marathon story :-)
ReplyDeleteAdd my voice to the chorus: you will do a third marathon. It will happen, with time and some more healing.
Aw, happy anniversary! Running a marathon is something less than 2% of people will ever do! (hard to remember that in our blog world filled with accomplished runners!) You did something great and should be so proud! Yaaay for being awesome because you ARE!
ReplyDeleteSo inspiring! I have begun to think about the possibility . . . for now, I'm happy to have achieved a goal with my recent Half, but I am also itching to try running further. Not necessarily a full marathon, but I do enjoy my long runs and would like to try getting up to 30K. Reading about others who have managed to complete a marathon is exciting -- What an achievement! No wonder you remember it with pride.
ReplyDeleteMy one year marathon anniversary is coming up! I can definitely say that experience changed my life.
ReplyDeleteThanks, friend. Having the marathon story is well worth it. :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your marathoniversay! I have complete faith that you will run an amazing third marathon when the time is right!
ReplyDeleteAw what a great memory you have! I do NOT have good memories of my first marathon. I'm hoping my second marathon in May will bring a lot better memories :)
ReplyDelete