Friday, March 16, 2012

32 in 32

Tomorrow I turn 32. Thirty-one was a good year for me. It brought moments of incredible joy - the birth of my second niece, finding out my mother-in-law was cancer free, finishing my second marathon, landing a tenure-track job, and getting good news about grants. I got to travel a fair amount: I made it to Montreal and Seattle for the first time, played tourist in Boston, Toronto, and Salem, roadtripped to Chicago and Shreveport and Madison. I hope that this next year brings many new chances for running in different places, visiting museums, trying local restaurants, and exploring new hobbies. In that spirit, I'm making a bucket list of sorts. Here are 32 things I'd like to do while I'm 32.

1. Climb a mountain.
2. Learn to make pie crust that doesn't look fugly.
3. Take a dance lesson.
4. Give brussel sprouts another chance.
5. Go for a run in the Parque de Dehesa de la Villa in Madrid.
6. Enter a contest.
7. Try snowshoeing.
8. Get a gel manicure.
9. Go an entire day without speaking.
10. Knit a scarf.
11. Go on a picnic.
12. Face my fear of oral surgery.
13. Do yoga everyday for an entire month.
14. Go on a group run in NYC.
15. Get a zoom lens for my camera and experiment with it.
16. Make my own pasta.
17. Throw a dinner party.
18. Bring my half-marathon total to 10.
19. Keep a travel journal this summer and share some of it on the blog.
20. Have a spa day with a friend.
21. Run my favorite routes here before I move.
22. Spend a Sunday afternoon in my favorite museum.
23. Volunteer at an animal shelter.
24. Go an entire day only speaking Spanish.
25. Create an inspiration board to put over my treadmill.
26. Go for a run in Central Park.
27. Visit the corral at Alcalá de Henares.
28. Go to the Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto.
29. Run a race in another country.
30. Make my own bagels.
31. Try a green monster.
32. Visit LA for the first time.

What's something you want to do or try before your next birthday?

21 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday in advance. Hope you have a FANTASTIC day.

    A few thoughts on your list:
    #9 - why?!?
    #12 - only if you *need* oral surgery
    #23 - I've been banned by my husband from visiting animal shelters (something about not being able to just "visit") ;-)
    #28 - I've actually been there! Given your affinity for shoes, I bet you'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Regarding #9, in my overly verbose life, I think it would be good for me. Sadly, I do need oral surgery and have been putting it off for a few years.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday!!!

    Roast your brussel sprouts in the oven with olive oil and sea salt. Yummy. Even my 5 year-old gets excited for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! 32 is a great age.

    Number 9--oh that's gotta be a tough one!

    Love running in Central Park--you must do it. And love the idea of volunteering at a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brussel Sprouts are pretty good - definitely give them another shot. I was surprised when I tried again! Making bagels - tried those and they weren't as hard as I thought but a good pie crust, I fail on that one most every time! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've gotta give brussel sprouts another try - they're so good!!!!

    Courtney ~ http://sartorialdsidelines.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday tomorrow- great list! I think 32 will be a great year for you. I agree about roasting brussel sprouts, I'm not into bitter (inc brussels) but I do like 'em roasted. I tried snowshoeing for the first time last year, pretty fun, as is XC skiing. #9 is quite possible in nature ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, great list, Raquelita! I have a private list I'm working on, 35 by 35, but it doesn't have very many items on it. I sometimes wonder if this means I'm not ambitious enough or I'm overly content. Is it possible to be overly content?

    But here are a few things that are floating in the future for me:
    * Run a 10K (my first!).
    * Make a tofu-based dessert, like a chocolate pie.
    * Practice compassion (an on-going goal, really).
    * Try veganism for a month?!? I think I'm going to do it in April :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! Interesting list :)

    #4 - you don't like brussel sprouts? How have you had them before? Like everyone said above, roasted is the way to go. But make sure you roast them until they're dark and crispy - they're so good that way. I throw some olive oil, salt & pepper, fresh garlic and grated parmesan on them (super healthy, right?)
    #16 - this is on my list too! In that I've added a pasta maker to my wedding registry in hopes that someone will encourage us to make pasta.
    #30 - I'm not positive, but I think Rad may have made her own bagels. And I know another blogger who has posted a few bagel recipes, if you're looking for one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had the sprouts in a number of years - probably not since I was a kid. My husband also refuses to touch them.

      Delete
  9. I turned 32 in January. You made me feel like a total underachiever with that list. LOL

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! I'm very impressed with all you've already done at what seems such a young age from my perspective way down the road. Clearly, that list-making habit of yours is a very productive one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! Good luck at your race tomorrow! I love your list -- I was just wondering what exactly "climb a mountain" entails. I live in the mountains and run in them several days a week, so if I go 500 ft up, is that "climbing a mountain"? I need details. Also, if you need someone to climb with, I am always looking to conquer a couple more high points!!!

    Also, Brussels -- in the oven, roasted with a little olive oil and if you want to, you can add bacon and goat cheese and maybe even some sliced almonds. Yum.

    6: What kind?
    9: How? Why?
    17: Count me in! :) Will there be homemade pasta and Brussels (and homemade bagels)? You could kill a few of these with one stone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to start small with the mountains and do one that I can basically hike up without any need of real gear. I have no idea yet about what kind of contest I'll enter. I'm keeping my eyes open for them now, though. Remaining silent for an entire day is going to be very difficult. But I think it would be really good for someone as extroverted and verbose as me to try this.

      Delete
  12. Happy birthday! I am looking forward to celebrating it tonight over dinner!

    That is a great list! I did a 30 before 30 list, but only finished about half the stuff. But that is still more than I would have accomplished if I hadn't made the list.

    Before I turn 32, I want to run another marathon, learn how to knit socks, and try a yoga class (I've never gone to a studio).

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great list! What a lovely idea. You're going to have so much fun trying all these new experiences and challenges. I DO hope you love Brussels sprouts - they are one of my favorites, when roasted. Can be icky if done wrong.
    What mountain do you have you eye on? I'm hoping to hike Mt. Elbert in August.

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope it is fabulous in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday! What a great list. And what a great 31 you had! Will say, though, Bata Shoe Museum, not so awesome. Sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn it! Now you tell me. I will still go. I feel compelled.

      Delete
  15. I wish I thought of birthdays this way...but I'll have to come up with 58 things for the next one. I'm curious about #9.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh I like the list! Hope you wind up liking Brussels sprouts; I'm a fan. ;)

    I need to get my butt in gear and start pondering this...would like something compiled for 30 before 30 (I have a few years to go, so it could hold some tricky, currently unrealistic ones ha).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Clever list.
    #4 - I have recipes if you want suggestions.
    #7 and 26 - done those and love both.
    #3 is on my list this year, too!

    Happy 32!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and commenting! I love hearing from readers and other bloggers! As an academic and a writer, feedback means a lot to me, so I try to return every comment that I get.