On Friday I took a sick day and had my wisdom teeth removed after many years of stalling and 10 hours of fasting (fortunately I was asleep for most of them). M. took me to the oral surgeon's office for my 9am appointment. Because my lower two wisdom teeth were impacted, both my general dentist and the oral surgeon had recommended that I be put under for the procedure and have all four teeth removed at once. I was nervous (I had never even had a single stitch before Friday) and the nurse gave me some nitrous to help me relax and lower my heart rate. Before long the IV drip was going and I faded out of consciousness.
Apparently the procedure went swiftly and smoothly. The nurse and oral surgeon proclaimed me a good patient. With a mouthful of gauze and a brain full of fog, I told them, "I'm really good at sleeping." Then they brought M. back to give him some care instructions for me. I was helped out to the car. Vaguely stoned and with my mouth still full of gauze, I rambled for a little bit about Marxian social history and radical feminism, briefly cried, asked my spouse if he considers himself a feminist (he said he is a liberal feminist), and then waited for M. in the car while he picked up my prescriptions and bought some sherbet and soup at Target. If anyone was hoping for awesome antics or wizardry, they were disappointed. My post-op, stoned ramblings were rather academic.
I didn't stay very groggy for long. I was in some pain, but it was more or less at a manageable level. I spent the rest of the day on Friday on the couch, watching episodes of Buffy, applying ice packs religiously, and bleeding occasionally. I was unable to eat any of the sherbet sadly, as, after I had a couple of bites, the bottom right side of my mouth started hurting more and I started bleeding.
I spent most of the weekend on the couch. I felt well enough to do some grading here and there, but I wasn't up for much else. I watched a couple of movies and some episodes of Downtown Abbey and I finished a novel that I was reading. For the past three days my diet has consisted of oatmeal, soup, and mashed potatoes. I'm hoping to go into semi-solid territory again later today, but am trying to err on the side of caution. I am terrified of getting dry socket and prolonging my recovery. Depending on how my mouth feels tomorrow, I may try to do a short and easy 2 miler. The oral surgeon said I could run after 3-4 days so long as I stopped immediately if I felt woozy or tasted any blood.
So I crossed #12 off my 32 in 32 list and spent the weekend recuperating. Hopefully, my next 32 in 32 adventure involves less pain and more excitement.
Sounds like you are recovering well. Anything that involves the oral surgeon is never fun but I'm sure you'll be back to normal very soon!
ReplyDeleteI am glad the recovery is going pretty well. Having my wisdom teeth really knocked me out - I lost like 10 pounds! But I think I felt pretty decent after 5-6 days? I was paranoid about getting dry socket so was very careful and followed all of the doctor's instructions (I was advised not to talk much, so I barely spoke).
ReplyDeleteWhen I had my wisdom teeth out, I spent the afternoon "racing" my Grandma in a chair. She didn't know we were racing (BTW, she lost). Guess I was a little loopy. Hahahahah.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you'll feel back to normal in a few days.
Isn't it funny the things that we say when under the influence of drugs like that? I was an emotional wreck a few weeks back when on Valium for my root canal. Glad things went smoothly and I hope they continue to do so!
ReplyDeleteI remember when I had my wisdom teeth removed and I woke up in the recovery lounge and proceeded to start swearing at a very scared and in pain eight year old girl. So not my finest moment. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteCourtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com
Whew! I'm glad you made it through your surgery. It sounds like you are mending pretty well, and I hope your short run is a good one.
ReplyDeleteI still have my wisdom teeth now, at age 30. I keep wondering if and when I'll have to have them removed, and like you, I'm kind of terrified of surgery. Luckily, my normal diet contains a lot of oatmeal and soup, so I should be okay on that front :-)
Have a good week, my dear.
Well I am glad that is over! Drugs are funny things; I love how you got all academic. I don't really remember saying weird things, but I do remember a milkshake and a car ride. I had a horrible time after my teeth were out; I couldn't stomach the Vicodin and I got sick, so I was starving for a long time (it seemed like!)
ReplyDeleteI have gone under the knife a few times for my mouth and it really sucks. Being put under is the only way to do it. I can run until my feet fall off but but send me the dentist and I am total baby. Get to feeling better and I hope you can eat soon!
ReplyDeleteUuuuugggghhhhh... glad you're feeling better!!! I'm lucky. I only have one wisdom tooth, and it's never bothered me! The other three are not even there beneath the surface on x-ray.
ReplyDeleteMy husband desperately needs to have his cut out. He, like you, has already been putting it off for years. I don't think he can put it off much longer.
Oh anesthesia, truth serum. :0)
ReplyDeleteGlad you are feeling okay. Did I see something on a twitter about dry sockets? I hope I read that wrong and that you are just fine!
It wasn't dry socket, thankfully! I had a stitch that came up in a weird way and was being problematic. They put one of those disgusting clove dressings on it and that has helped a lot. But I did decide to postpone running and trying to eat solid foods for another day.
DeleteYeah for having this milestone behind you. I think a milk shake might be in order.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you're recovering. I've nursed my husband and all four of my (now adult) children through wisdom teeth extraction, but never undergone the surgery myself and hope I can keep avoiding it (my dentist has stopped nagging me about them, although there are always a few complaints re cleaning . . . )
ReplyDeleteNo fun! But glad it went smoothly!
ReplyDelete