My Professional/Writing Goals were:
1. Finish modernizing the other primary source text. Yes! I finished this stage of the project yesterday. There will be some details to go over with my co-editor at some point over the summer, but I'm glad that I can clear this project off my desk for the time being.
2. Make an archival to-do list. Check! Thanks to Facebook, I discovered a couple of weeks ago that the archive that I was planning to use first will be closed most of the time that I'll be in Madrid. I was able to rearrange my plan, and I have made up a list of documents that I want to consult at several different archives and libraries.
3. Make progress on my book proposal. Not so much. I have to admit that the only progress I made on my book proposal this month was a brief email exchange with an acquisitions editor who contacted me. Getting this off my desk will be my major goal in June since I'll have a better view of where I'm going with the manuscript as my research trip progresses.
My Fitness/Health Goals were:
1. Maintain my food journal every day during the month of April. I did so-so here. The month started off strong, but I basically stopped keeping track when I had my oral surgery. The diet of soup and mashed potatoes that I was on for 6 days was not very inspiring.
2. Run 70 miles. Nope. I only ran 50.7 miles this month. Between the end of the semester crush and being out of commission for a week after having my wisdom teeth out, I just wasn't able to log that many miles this month.
3. Do at least three 45-90 minute yoga practices. Not so much. I only did one longer yoga practice all month. I'm not sure why but I haven't been much of a yogi this spring. I can't even blame this one entirely on the oral surgery.
My Miscellaneous Goals were:
1. Take a photo every day for my 365 project. Not really. I didn't quite get to daily photos, but I took photos on at least 20 different days during the month of April. I missed a few days post-surgery and some days here and there throughout the month. I think part of it was that I dreaded the extra time that it would take to upload, edit, and post the photos on the social media 365 site that I was using. The other day I decided to restart my 365 project here on blogger. I think that will save time and energy and work better for me going forward.
2. I'd like to try my hand at making my own bagels this month. Nope. The only time that I really had the extra free time for a baking project this month was during Passover, and that just seemed wrong. I did, however, make corn chowder for the first time.
2. I'd like to try my hand at making my own bagels this month. Nope. The only time that I really had the extra free time for a baking project this month was during Passover, and that just seemed wrong. I did, however, make corn chowder for the first time.
This past month I also took a quick trip with my spouse to Toronto to see family for Passover. I had a pretty painful oral surgery. I graded mountains of papers and tests. I taught last classes. I ended my gym membership in anticipation of summer research trips and the move. I also spent an afternoon with my dear friend Suzie, helping her to take care of her wedding registries at Macy's and Williams-Sonoma. How was your month? Did you accomplish any goals, run any races, try any new recipes, wrap up a project?
Wow, it was really 6 days for the soup and mashed potatoes? Well, at least it sounds like you are feeling better now...and you don't have to worry about those wisdom teeth anymore!
ReplyDeleteI did cross many items off many to-do lists to get my papers graded and marks filed, some committee responsibilities out of the way, etc. And I managed to get the house in some kind of order so I'd feel okay about leaving AND enjoy coming back in a month. And just yesterday, I had this great moment in which I realized that I don't HAVE to do anything for the next month, although of course we'll be busy traveling. I'm giving myself 4 guilt-free weeks of doing what I want and trying to put aside thoughts of academic responsibilities 'til I return to them in June, presumably refreshed and ready to go. . .
ReplyDeleteAs usual, you've been very productive, even slowed down by oral surgery. I fell down on my running goals as well, mainly because my left leg has been a pain. . . I guess I met a goal of listening to my body and taking it easy! ;-)
My big project for April was to redo all my job application materials for non-academic jobs and to get the ball rolling on that whole process. Which I did! And I also managed to get all my files cleaned out and get my UHaul booked...so I did pretty good this month.
ReplyDeleteCourtney ~ http://sartorialsidelines.com
That corn chowder looks great. And it counts as a photo of the day, right? I have a never ending, rolling, to do list. I always cross a few things off and add a few more... sigh. In April, I tried several new recipes, read my goal of more than 4 books and spent some time with family, which is priceless!
ReplyDeleteI think any month that involves surgery of any sort is bound to be a blur. I think you did great despite all the things you had going on! I am glad this surgery is behind you now - and hopefully you are 100%. It is a tough one!
ReplyDeleteThat corn chowder looks SO good. I LOVE soup so would love that!
It seems to me that you were very, very busy this month. It's great to set goals...but I wonder if sometimes we don't also need to cut ourselves some slack.
ReplyDelete